Wine Tasting in Transylvania CountrysideWith: Adela 16
What you need to know about this wine tasting tour in Transylvania
- This is a private tour starting from Sibiu for minimum 4 people. Duration: 5-7 hours, depending on your interests and weather
- Included: transport and guide, entry fees, wine tasting with a local snack
- First, we visit traditional Saxon villages on the outskirts of Sibiu to learn about the history and culture of wine making in Transylvania
- Then, we travel on the former Wine Road to admire terraced hills before entering a vineyard to have a wine tasting
Comfortable shoes required.
Should you have any food allergies or special requirements, please let us know.
Moments to expect during the wine tour in Transylvania:
Village of Cristian: fortified churches & grapes
The village of Cristian was established by Saxons and Landlers, two ethnic groups that colonized this region centuries ago who also brought new types of grapes in the area and wine-making techniques. I'll tell you some interesting life & history stories and then we'll taste a selection of home-made traditional products (cheese, cured hams) in the Bacon Tower - a proper name!
Calnic Fortress & wine hills
Calnic fortress was built in the 13th century by the Saxon colonists. Due to its location, hidden between sunny hills and valleys, the village quickly became famous for its vineyards and, of course, delicious wine. Here we'll visit the fortress and local exhibition and learn about winery traditions, types and techniques that were used in the region.
Wine Tasting in Transylvania
This entire region was part of the Wine Road of Transylvania, known for its white dry wines, sometimes used as a trading currency by the Saxons. We'll visit one of the few - but famous - local wine producers in the area, walk in the vineyard and enjoy a wine tasting acompanied by small snacks. And the views - superb!
- Starting point: Sibiu
- Nearest airport: Sibiu International Airport
- Nearest train station: Sibiu Railway Station
- Landscape: Countryside, Hills
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?