Complete Bucharest Communism Tour: Palace of Parliament & Ceausescu's HomeWith: Alina 1
What you need to know about this Complete Bucharest Communism Tour
- This is the complete & essential tour of Bucharest's communist history and most representative landmarks. Duration: 3-4 hours
- Included: transport by car/minivan in the city, guidance, entrance fees (total of 20€), small snack and bottle of water
- Tour inside the Palace of Parliament: we will see either the House of Deputies OR the Senate House, depending on availability
- Visit the inside of Nicolae Ceausescu's private house (Vila Primaverii) and see the luxurious lifestyle of the former communist dictator
- Panoramic tour of Bucharest by car taking you to see the major landmarks of the communist period. We will make 3 stops where I will give you Romanian history lessons :)
- Please check the 'additional info' section (the sliders in the upper corner of this section)
The Parliament tour lasts 45 min - 1 hour; we will only see one of the 2 chambers, depending on their availability on the day of tour, visiting hours and your preference. Exact details will be confirmed 1 day before.
The Palace of Parliament underground parking and tunnels can also be visited but is not included in the standard itinerary of this tour. For an extended or custom tour of the Palace of Parliament, please contact us.
VERY IMPORTANT - you MUST have valid ID on you for this tour.
Pick-up & drop-off from your hotel or other central areas.
Moments to expect during the Complete Bucharest Communism Tour
How the communists transformed Bucharest
Our tour starts with a brief history lesson about Romania's communist past and the notorious dictator Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife, Elena. As we go sightseeing through the most important landmarks and major boulevards in Bucharest, you will learn about city's history and how the communist regime demolished and transformed large parts of it to match their architectural plans.
Special tour inside the Palace of Parliament!
Ceausescu's legacy is Bucharest's most famous building: the Parliament Palace (or House of People by its communist name). It is Europe's biggest building and the world's second biggest! You will see its richly decorated interiors in parts not available on the standard Parliament tour and one of the rooms where the Romanian Parliament meets.
Tour Ceausescu's private home & life
Next, you will visit the private residence of Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu and their 3 children, their home for 25 years. You will find out what kind of man Ceausescu was in his private life – his hobbies, routine or art collections. A unique insight into the dictator's private luxurious life - in contrast with how his people queued for food and other things necessary for daily life.
The Romanian Revolution of 1989
The revolution that overthrew the communist regime and lead to Ceausescu's execution started in December 1989. A crucial moment in Romanian history and, unfortunately, the most violent revolution in Europe: almost 1,200 people lost their lives across the country. Learn how it all started, what happened on the streets of Bucharest and how the city remembers its past.
- Starting point: Bucharest
- Nearest airport: Bucharest International Henri Coanda Airport
- Nearest train station: North Train Station
- Landscape: urban
Reviews from travellers
Interesting tour with great value for money, would recommend it. Guide friendly and informative. Booking process on Romanian Friend efficient and communication very good. Thanks!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?