2-Day Trip in Maramures: UNESCO Wooden Churches & Local SightsWith: Florin 12
What you need to know about this guided tour of Maramures:
- This is a private 2 day trip starting from Cluj-Napoca showing you the best of Maramures region!
- All-inclusive: all transport, 1 night stay in local guesthouse, half board, entrance fees to 3 sights and special tasting event
- We will visit the UNESCO Wooden Churches, the Victims of Communism Memorial in Sighetu Marmatiei and the Merry Cemetary of Sapanta, the most important sights in Maramures
- Enjoy traditional and delicious Romanian dishes made with locally sourced, home-grown products by the locals. You will also attend a tasting of 'palinca' the traditional regional drink at a local producer
- Accommodation at a local guesthouse where owners make their own cheese, wine and cured meats! Depending on season, you could see the making-of process live!
- Responsible tourism at its best: you will meet lots of locals, learn about their lives, homes and see live crafts like woodcarving or knitting
- Tour extension possible on booking page: 1 extra day+night for the Mocanita Steam train ride (ticket included). Itinerary will be more relaxed
The schedule of this trip is very busy but it will give you a unique and complete insight into the region of Maramures, Romanian culture and our old way of life.
An all-inclusive all-round immersive experience!
Moments to expect during the Maramures tour:
See the 300 years old UNESCO Wooden Churches
These wooden churches are unique in Romania and in the Christian religion. We will learn about the history, traditions, architecture and superstitions surrounding these churches. and, most important, why wood has been used to build them and as a way of artistic expression.
Taste the traditional 'palinca' - if you can handle it!
We will visit a local brandy distillery where we will learn how it's made and taste different flavours of 'palinca' or 'tuica', as it is called in other parts of the country. Beware - strong spirit, only for the brave! :)
Prepare for local food and traditional dishes!
On our first day, a young local family invites us to taste products from their own farm and the delicious dishes of Maramures region. But even with our other meals - expect lots of tasty and healthy food from one of the most rich culinary regions of Romania!
Stay at a local guesthouse
You will stay in a local guesthouse with clean and comfortable rooms, en suite bathroom and all other essentials needed for your trip. And you'll experience firsthand how welcoming the locals from Maramures region are!
- Starting point: Cluj-Napoca
- Nearest airport: Cluj Napoca International
- Nearest train station: Cluj-Napoca Train Station
- Landscape: Countryside
Reviews from travellers
The trip in Maramures was highly enjoyable and Florin was a great guide! He was very helpful and always went a step further for us, which we are grateful of. He was also very knowledgeable, not just about Romania but also the region and other worldly affairs. We loved conversing with him. I also appreciate the quick responses from Romanian Friend and help with linking us up. Thanks for everything!
My recent 2-day tour visiting Maramures region with Florin was spectacular. Florin's knowledge is boundless, his enthusiasm contagious and his well-planned itinerary excellent. The Maramures region is packed with wonderful scenery, wondrous wooden churches and a center for maintaining century's old traditional lifestyles. The staff at Romanian Friend couldn't have been more helpful or courteous. The entire experience was A+ and I can highly recommend joining Florin for a trip through Maramures.
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?