Transfagarasan Highway Tour: The Best Road in the World!With: Adela 8
What you need to know about this Transfagarasan Road Tour
- This is a private tour starting from Sibiu and suitable for small groups.
- Included: transport, guidance, entrance fee to Carta Abbey
- Tranfagarasan Highway opens for driving only between June - October. Outside this period, if weather permits, we can do the tour using the cable car which runs right above it (extra fee of 13 Euro/person for tickets)
- You will see a 800 year old abbey, Tranfagarasan Highway and Balea glacier lake at the top of the mountains
- If you want, we can stop for lunch on our route - I know some good spots
The weather changes a lot in the mountains so, we suggest proper equipment: sun hat, umbrella, rain coat, sport shoes or trekking shoes.
If you want we can also organise a short trekking tour up in Fagaras Mountains.
Between November and June the road is closed due to weather conditions. We can reach Balea Lake by taking a cable car (extra 13 Euro/ person). In case of extremely windy and snowy weather, the acces is totally forbidden.
Moments to expect in the Transfagarasan Road Trip
The great Transfagarasan Road
Built by the communists as an access road across the Carpathian Mts. to link Transylvania with the Southern province of Wallachia, the Transfagarasan Highway is a spectacular scenic road situated in a mountain valley at 2,000m high. Enjoy a ride on the road that Top Hear host Jeremy Clarkson called "the best road in the world."
The Cistercian Abbey at Carta
Built sometime in the 13th century by the Cistercian monks, the Carta fortified abbey is one of the earliest gothic constructions in Transylvania. Located in a splendid setting atop of a hill, you will see its well-preserved ruins and learn about the 800 year old history of this attraction.
Glacier Balea Lake
At the top of Transfagarasan Highway there is a small glacier lake hidden between the rough edges of Fagaras Mts. With its emerald green waters, there is something special and relaxing about this lake and you will have the chance to admire it and the splendid surrounding views!
The fairytale Clay Castle
There is a unique attraction growing in popularity nearby: Clay Castle in Valea Zanelor. We will go for a short visit to see it and take a few pictures before returning to Sibiu.
- Starting point: Sibiu
- Nearest airport: Sibiu or Cluj International
- Nearest train station: Sibiu Train Station
- Landscape: Mountains & countryside
Reviews from travellers
Adela was informative , attentive and she added greatly to my experience of this part of Romania. This tour was excellent - thank you Adela and Romanian Friend.
We had a great day with Adela who was helpful, enthusiastic and really awesome as a guide. Everything went well and as planned and we found out a lot about Sibiu area and Transfagarasan, which was the highlight of our trip. Thanks Romanian Friend!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?