2-day Hiking Tour in Romania's Fagaras MountainsWith: Marian 22
What you need to know about the hiking tour in Fagaras Mountains
- This is a private hiking trip available on request starting from Brasov. Hiking routes will be agreed with the guide and depend on period and weather
- Included: transport, licensed English-speaking mountain guide, overnight accommodation, food (1 breakfast, 1 lunch pack, 1 dinner). Not included: other supplies + cable car ticket
- A good-to-very good physical condition is needed for this trip and adequate hiking gear. There are many trails of various lengths and difficulty to choose from, depending on your fitness, interests and weather
- Transfagarasan Road is open for driving only during July-Oct; only then we can cross Fagaras Mts and go into Stan Valley. If outside this period, we go by cable car to Balea Lake and hike in the highs of Fagaras Mts.
- Accommodation in a standard double room with en-suite bathroom. Due to very high demand and limited rooms in the area, booking with as much advance notice is recommended to secure availability
- IMPORTANT: please read extra details on the next page
Please bring appropriate hiking equipment for serious mountains: waterproof hiking boots, gaters, warm clothes, windproof and waterproof jacket, backpack with supplies (water, energy bars) etc. No technical equipment needed, but hiking sticks are good to have. No possibility to buy supplies in the area.
Weather is unpredictable and can change fast at 2.200m+ altitude. Average temperatures during summer are between 5-20C. There might be snow patches or parts with ice.
If you book when Transfagarasan Road is closed for driving, we will take the cable car up to Balea Lake. Tickets for you and the guide are NOT INCLUDED and must be paid on the spot (15 Euro/person round-trip).
I recommend requesting a booking for your dates with as much advance as possible so I can secure accommodation with a firm deposit. Due to limited capacity, accommodation needs to be paid in advance in full and is NOT refundable.
100% payment required when requesting a booking. 50% refundable if cancelled with 14 full days prior to departure. If with less then 14 days before tour starts, no refund is possible
If weather conditions deteriorate on the day of the tour and/or the cable car does not operate we DO NOT assume responsibility and no refund is possible. We will constantly check the weather and keep you updated if anything changes before your tour.
Moments to expect in the trekking tour in Fagaras Mountains
Day 1: Enter Fagaras Mountains
Driving from Brasov we enter the impressive Fagaras Mts from the North: if Transfagarasan Road is open for driving - we drive on 'the best road in the world'! If not, we take the cable car up to Balea Lake at 2,200m altitude. After we settle in our accommodation, we get ready to conquer the main ridge of Fagaras Mountains on a 4-6 hour hike. The views are breathtaking and worth every effort!
Day 2: Hike Transylvania's Alps
If you choose (or we are forced) to spend the 2nd day in the heights of Fagaras, we can go on the highest trails in Romania! The world seems small from 2,400m, but the air is fresh, cool and the thrill of adventure pushes us forward! We admire nature's beauty and Romanian views from the top! Hiking on the ridges of Fagaras Mts and discovering crystal blue glacial lakes is a unique experience for fans of the outdoor!
[alternative] Day 2: Vidraru Dam & Stan's Gorge
If Transfagarasan Road is open for driving we can continue to the South side of Fagaras Mts to the beautiful Vidraru Dam for some amazing pictures and views! Then, we begin hiking in the beautiful Stan Valley Canyon (which also has a via ferrata route - no technical equipment needed) where we come in close contact with virgin nature deep inside Fagaras Mountains! You will have a real mountaineering experience here with some adrenaline too - a 4-6 hour route.
Accommodation at Balea Lake
We spend 1 night to Balea Lake Hotel or similar guesthouses or hotels in the area. All of them offer warm food and drinks.
- Starting point: Brasov (pick-up)
- Nearest airport: Bucharest or Sibiu
- Nearest train station: Brasov
- Landscape: Mountains, canyons, forest
Other tours nearby
Start from: Bucharest
Start from: Sibiu
Start from: Brasov
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?