2-day Hiking Tour in Romania's Fagaras MountainsWith: Marian 8
What you need to know about this hiking trip in Fagaras Mountains
- This is a private hiking trip available on request for small groups, starting from Brasov. Optimal period: June - October
- Included: transport, licensed English-speaking mountain guide, overnight accommodation, food (1 breakfast, 1 lunch pack, 1 dinner) and entrance to Poenari Fortress
- A good - very good physical condition is needed for this trip. There are several routes to choose from depending on your condition, duration AND weather conditions
- Accommodation at Balea Lake in a standard double room in a mountain lodge
- Due to very high tourist numbers hiking in the area and limited capacity at Balea, I strongly recommend booking in advance to secure availability
100% payment required when requesting a booking. Fully refundable if canceled with 7 full days prior to departure.
Please wear appropriate mountain equipment: waterproof hiking boots and warm clothes. Weather can change fast at 2.200 m.
* inquiries for availability will take longer to answer and cannot be relied on longer than 3-5 days during high season (Summer). I recommend requesting a booking for your dates with as much advance as possible so I can secure accommodation with a firm deposit. If your dates or plans change, you can get a refund.
Moments to expect in the trekking tour around Fagaras Mountains
Day 1: Transfagarasan Highway, Balea Waterfall and Fagaras Mts
From Brasov we head towards our accommodation in Fagaras Mountains but first we drive on Transfagarasan Highway - 'the best road in the world'! After we settle in we get ready to conquer the main ridge of Fagaras Mountains on a 4-6 hour hike. The views are breathtaking and worth every effort!
Day 2: Vidraru Dam, Poienari Fortress and Stan's Gorge
We continue on Transfagarasan Road towards the beautiful Vidraru Dam for some pictures. Then, we begin hiking in the beautiful Stan Valley Canyon (which also has a via ferrata route - no technical equipment needed) where we come in close contact with virgin nature deep inside Fagaras Mountains! You will have a real mountaineering experience here with some adrenaline too - a 4-6 hour route.
Before we return to Brasov we will visit Poienari Castle (known as the real Dracula Castle). It was the residence of the famous Vlad the Impaler and we need to climb 1,480 stairs to get there! Though in ruins, the fortress is perched up on a ridge overlooking the entire valley and has a fascinating history.
Accommodation at Balea Lake
We spend 1 night to Balea Lake Hotel or similar (guesthouses or hotels located on Transfagarasan road) - subject to availability.
- Starting point: Brasov (pick-up)
- Nearest airport: Bucharest or Sibiu
- Nearest train station: Brasov
- Landscape: Mountains, canyons, forest
Other tours nearby
Start from: Bucharest
Start from: Sibiu
Start from: Bucharest
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?