2 or 3 Day Hiking Trip in Fagaras Mts: Negoiu or Moldoveanu PeakWith: Marian 56
What you need to know about the hiking tour in Fagaras Mountains
- This is a private hiking trip available on request starting from Brasov
- Included in the 2-day trip: transport, licensed English-speaking mountain guide, overnight accommodation, food (1 breakfast, 1 lunch pack, 1 dinner). Not included: other supplies + cable car ticket to Balea Lake [if hiking outside July-Oct]
- Fagaras Mts are the most challenging in Romania. A very good physical condition is needed for this trip and adequate hiking gear. During the trip we can summit Negoiu Peak, the 2nd highest in Romania at 2,535m. There are many other peaks we can summit with trails of various lengths and difficulties. The guide will present options and you can choose depending on your fitness, interests and weather
- To summit Moldoveanu Peak, the highest in Romania, you need to extend the trip to 3d/2n and for an extra cost of 278 Euro/person [on the booking page]. Accommodation will be in Podragu Mountain cabin [only option] with shared dormitories and toilets on the hall. A sleeping bag is mandatory! This is the ONLY way to summit Moldoveanu. Please book this trip IN ADVANCE [2-3 weeks minimum] to secure beds as they're in high demand
- Alternative for day 2: we cross Fagaras Mts to the South and go into Stan Valley [only in July-Oct when Transfagarasan Road is open for driving]. Outside this period we go by cable car to Balea Lake (tickets not included) and hike on the crests of Fagaras Mts.
- Due to very high number of hikers and few accommodation options in the area, the guesthouses requires 50% of the rooms' costs paid in advance . This amount is refundable only if you cancel 30 days in advance.
- IMPORTANT: please read extra details on the next page. Best time for hiking in Fagaras: mid-June to late Oct. The rest of the time there is snow so advanced hiking gear and skills needed.
Please bring appropriate hiking clothing: waterproof hiking boots, gaters, warm clothes, windproof and waterproof jacket, backpack with supplies (water, energy bars) etc. No technical equipment needed, but hiking sticks are good to have and you can rent from me (10 Euro/person). No possibility to buy supplies / food in the area.
If you want to hike Moldoveanu Peak you MUST have a sleeping bag as accommodation will be in a mountain hut with bunk beds. You can also buy one from Brasov.
If you want to summit Negoiu Peak please inform the guide when booking because accommodation must be booked at a different cabin. No sleeping bag needed.
If the guide considers you are not adequately equipped (e.g. wearing sneakers or normal clothing) he reserves the right to choose shorter / easier trails or even refuse doing the tour. Safety is our highest priority!
Weather is unpredictable and can change fast at 2.200m+ altitude. Average temperatures during summer are between 5-15C. There might be snow patches or parts with ice.
If you book when Transfagarasan Road is closed for driving, we will take the cable car up to Balea Lake. Tickets for you and the guide are NOT INCLUDED and must be paid on the spot (15 Euro/person round-trip).
If weather conditions deteriorate on the day of the tour and/or the cable car does not operate we DO NOT assume responsibility and no refund is possible. We will constantly check the weather and keep you updated if anything changes before your tour.
Balea Lake chalet 3* or similar has double or twin ensuite rooms!
I recommend requesting a booking for your dates with as much advance as possible so I can secure accommodation with a firm deposit. Due to limited capacity, 50% of the accommodation price needs to be paid in advance and is NOT refundable unless you cancel 30 days in advance.
100% payment required when requesting a booking. 50% of the tour price is refundable if cancelled with 7 full days prior to departure. If with less than that, no refund is possible
Moments to expect in the hiking tour in Transylvania's Alps:
Day 1: Enter Fagaras Mountains
We start from Brasov and enter the impressive Fagaras Mts from the North: if Transfagarasan Road is open for driving - we drive on 'the best road in the world'! If not, we take the cable car up to Balea Lake at 2,200m altitude [tickets not included!]. After we settle in our accommodation, we get ready to conquer the main ridge of Fagaras Mts. on a 4-6 hour introductory hike. The views are breathtaking and worth every minute!
Day 2: Hike in Transylvania's Alps
As the tour is private you can choose to spend the 2nd day in the heights of Fagaras Mts and summit some of the highest peaks in Romania! The air is fresh, cool and the thrill of discovery pushes us forward! We admire nature's beauty and discover crystal blue glacial lakes. Fagaras Mts. are the most challenging, wild and exciting for hikers so please don't underestimate them and come prepared for an adventure!
Summit Negoiu, the 2nd highest in Romania
If you're up for it, on this trip we can summit Negoiu Peak at 2,535m! First we drive to Porumbacu de Sus village and hike our way up to Negoiu Chalet at 1,540 m [room with 4 beds, shower and toilets on the hall, warm food]. Duration 4 – 5 hours, medium difficulty, uphill 800 m. On the 2nd day we conquer Negoiu Peak going through - in my opinion - the most beautiful trails in Fagaras Mts! 4 - 5h, medium to hard, uphill 1000 m, with a lunch pack. Then we descend back to our car and return to Brasov.
[please let me know when booking if you want this so I can book beds]
[alternative] Day 2: Vidraru Dam & Stan's Gorge
If Transfagarasan Road is open for driving we have the option to continue on the road to the South side of Fagaras Mts to the beautiful Vidraru Dam for some amazing pictures and views! Then, we begin hiking in the beautiful Stan Valley Canyon (which also has a via ferrata route - no technical equipment needed) where we come in close contact with virgin nature deep inside Fagaras Mts! You will have a real mountaineering experience here with some adrenaline too - a 4-6 hour route.
[3-day Tour Extension] Summit Moldoveanu Peak, the highest in Romania!
If you extend this trip to 3d/2n then we have enough time to summit Moldoveanu Peak at 2,545m! The trip will turn into a mountain adventure as we will hike 6-7h each day with significant altitude differences going on the ridges of Fagaras Mts on rocky trails. The hikes will be challenging and there will be dangerous sections. A very good physical condition is required and moderate hiking experience. Oh but the views, the reward and the adventure to conquer Romania's highest peak will be worth it -- if you're up for it!
Alternatively we can continue hiking in Fagaras Mts - plenty of trails and peaks to choose from, such as Negoiu (2nd highest)!
[extra cost 270 Euro / person on booking page]
Accommodation at Balea Cabin or Podragu Cabin
Depending on which trail you want to do, you can spend 1 night in Balea Cabin (double rooms with en-suite bathroom) or Podragu Cabin (mountain cabin deep in Fagaras Mts. with shared dormitories, toilets, no showers and bunk beds. MUST have sleeping bag. Serves warm food). These are the only places to stay in the area and there is a lot of demand for them from hikers all over the world so, please -- book min 2-3 weeks in advance to secure your spots!
Cancelation & refund policyHard
Sends us or the guide an email 30 days before the tour informing us you can't make it and you'll get a full refund of your payment, no questions asked.
- Starting point: Brasov (pick-up)
- Nearest airport: Bucharest or Sibiu
- Nearest train station: Brasov
- Landscape: Mountains, canyons, forest
Questions about the hiking trip in Fagaras Mountains
Other tours nearby
Start from: Bucharest
Start from: Sibiu
Start from: Sibiu
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?