2 or 3 Day Hiking Trip in Fagaras Mts. & Moldoveanu PeakWith: Marian 27
What you need to know about the hiking tour in Fagaras Mountains
- This is a private hiking trip available on request starting from Brasov. Hiking routes will be agreed with the guide and depend on period and weather
- Included: transport, licensed English-speaking mountain guide, overnight accommodation, food (1 breakfast, 1 lunch pack, 1 dinner). Not included: other supplies + cable car ticket
- Fagaras Mts are the most challenging in Romania. A very good physical condition is needed for this trip and adequate hiking gear. There are many peaks we can summit with trails of various lengths and difficulties. The guide will present options and you can choose depending on your fitness, interests and weather
- To summit Moldoveanu Peak, the highest in Romania, you need to extend the trip to 3d/2n and there will be an extra cost of Accommodation will be in Podragu mountain cabin with shared dormitories and toilets on the hall. This is the only option in the area and in high demand so book in ADVANCE 2-3 weeks is best
- We can cross Fagaras Mts and go into Stan Valley only when Transfagarasan Road is open for driving (July-Oct). Outside this period we go by cable car to Balea Lake and hike in the highs of Fagaras Mts.
- Due to very high number of hikers and few accommodation options in the area, the guesthouses requires 50% of the rooms' value paid in advance (around 40 Euro from the price/person). This amount is refundable only if you cancel 30 days in advance.
- IMPORTANT: please read extra details on the next page
Please bring appropriate hiking clothing: waterproof hiking boots, gaters, warm clothes, windproof and waterproof jacket, backpack with supplies (water, energy bars) etc. No technical equipment needed, but hiking sticks are good to have and you can rent from me (10 Euro/person). No possibility to buy supplies / food in the area.
If the guide considers you are not adequately equipped (e.g. wearing sneakers or normal clothing) he reserves the right to choose shorter / easier trails or even refuse doing the tour. Safety is our highest priority.
Weather is unpredictable and can change fast at 2.200m+ altitude. Average temperatures during summer are between 5-15C. There might be snow patches or parts with ice.
If you book when Transfagarasan Road is closed for driving, we will take the cable car up to Balea Lake. Tickets for you and the guide are NOT INCLUDED and must be paid on the spot (15 Euro/person round-trip).
I recommend requesting a booking for your dates with as much advance as possible so I can secure accommodation with a firm deposit. Due to limited capacity, 50% of the accommodation price needs to be paid in advance and is NOT refundable unless you cancel 30 days in advance.
100% payment required when requesting a booking. 50% of the tour price is refundable if cancelled with 7 full days prior to departure. If with less than that, no refund is possible
If weather conditions deteriorate on the day of the tour and/or the cable car does not operate we DO NOT assume responsibility and no refund is possible. We will constantly check the weather and keep you updated if anything changes before your tour.
Moments to expect in the trekking tour in Transylvania's Alps:
Day 1: Enter Fagaras Mountains
We start from Brasov and enter the impressive Fagaras Mts from the North: if Transfagarasan Road is open for driving - we drive on 'the best road in the world'! If not, we take the cable car up to Balea Lake at 2,200m altitude. After we settle in our accommodation, we get ready to conquer the main ridge of Fagaras Mts. on a 4-6 hour introductory hike. The views are breathtaking and worth every minute!
Day 2: Hike Transylvania's Alps
As the tour is private you can choose to spend the 2nd day in the heights of Fagaras Mts and summit some of the highest peaks in Romania! The air is fresh, cool and the thrill of discovery pushes us forward! We admire nature's beauty and discover crystal blue glacial lakes. Fagaras Mts. are the most challenging, wild and exciting for hikers so please don't underestimate them and come prepared for an adventure!
[alternative] Day 2: Vidraru Dam & Stan's Gorge
If Transfagarasan Road is open for driving we have the option to continue on the road to the South side of Fagaras Mts to the beautiful Vidraru Dam for some amazing pictures and views! Then, we begin hiking in the beautiful Stan Valley Canyon (which also has a via ferrata route - no technical equipment needed) where we come in close contact with virgin nature deep inside Fagaras Mts! You will have a real mountaineering experience here with some adrenaline too - a 4-6 hour route.
Accommodation at Balea Cabin or Podragu Cabin
Depending on which trail you want to do, you can spend 1 night in Balea Cabin (double rooms with en-suite bathroom) or Podragu Cabin (mountain cabin deep in Fagaras Mts. with shared dormitory and toilet). These are the only overnight options in the area and there is a lot of demand for them from hikers all over the world so, please -- book in advance!
- Starting point: Brasov (pick-up)
- Nearest airport: Bucharest or Sibiu
- Nearest train station: Brasov
- Landscape: Mountains, canyons, forest
Other tours nearby
Start from: Bucharest
Start from: Sibiu
Start from: Sinaia
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?