2-day Hiking Tour in Romania's Fagaras MountainsWith: Marian 9
What you need to know about the hiking tour in Fagaras Mountains
- This is a private hiking trip available on request starting from Brasov. Itinerary varies depending on period and weather conditions
- Included: transport, licensed English-speaking mountain guide, overnight accommodation, food (1 breakfast, 1 lunch pack, 1 dinner)
- A good-to-very good physical condition is needed for this trip with proper hiking gear. There are several trails we can choose depending on your fitness, interests and weather conditions.
- If you book during July-Oct when Transfagarasan Road is open for driving, we can also visit Poenari Citadel and Stan Valley. If outside this period, we stay hiking in Fagaras crests - if weather/snow conditions allow.
- Accommodation at Balea Lake in a standard double room in a mountain lodge. Due to very high tourist numbers during high season and limited capacity for accommodation in the area, I strongly recommend booking in advance to secure availability
100% payment required when requesting a booking. Fully refundable if canceled with 7 full days prior to departure.
Please wear appropriate mountain equipment: waterproof hiking boots, warm clothes, backpack with supplies. Weather can change fast at 2.200 m and average temperatures during summer are between 5-15C.
* inquiries for availability will take longer to answer and cannot be relied on longer than 3-5 days during high season (Summer). I recommend requesting a booking for your dates with as much advance as possible so I can secure accommodation with a firm deposit. If your dates or plans change, you can get a refund.
Moments to expect in the trekking tour in Fagaras Mountains
Day 1: Enter Fagaras Mountains
From Brasov we enter the impressive Fagaras Mts from the North: if Transfagarasan Road is open for driving - we drive on 'the best road in the world'! If not, we take the cable car up to Balea Lake at 2,200m altitude. After we settle in our accommodation, we get ready to conquer the main ridge of Fagaras Mountains on a 4-6 hour hike. The views are breathtaking and worth every effort!
Day 2: Hike Transylvania's Alps
If you choose (or we are forced) to spend the 2nd day in the heights of Fagaras, we can go on the highest trails in Romania! The world seems small from 2,400m, but the air is fresh, cool and the thrill of adventure pushes us forward! We admire nature's beauty and Romanian views from the top! Hiking on the ridges of Fagaras Mts and discovering crystal blue glacial lakes is a unique experience for fans of the outdoor!
Day 2: Vidraru Dam & Stan's Gorge [alternative]
If Transfagarasan Road is open for driving we continue to the South side of Fagaras Mountains to the beautiful Vidraru Dam for some amazing pictures and views! Then, we begin hiking in the beautiful Stan Valley Canyon (which also has a via ferrata route - no technical equipment needed) where we come in close contact with virgin nature deep inside Fagaras Mountains! You will have a real mountaineering experience here with some adrenaline too - a 4-6 hour route.
Accommodation at Balea Lake
We spend 1 night to Balea Lake Hotel or similar (guesthouses or hotels located on Transfagarasan road) - subject to availability.
Before we return to Brasov we will visit Poienari Castle (known as the real Dracula Castle). It was the residence of the famous Vlad the Impaler and we need to climb 1,480 stairs to get there! Though in ruins, the fortress is perched up on a ridge overlooking the entire valley and has a fascinating history.
[due to increased number of bears and wild animals in the area, it's possible the castle will be closed for visiting]
- Starting point: Brasov (pick-up)
- Nearest airport: Bucharest or Sibiu
- Nearest train station: Brasov
- Landscape: Mountains, canyons, forest
Other tours nearby
Start from: Bucharest
Start from: Sibiu
Start from: Brasov
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?