Road trip on Transfagarasan HighwayWith: Bogdan 3
What you need to know
- This is a private guided day trip starting from Bucharest for small groups. Duration aprox. 12 hours
- Included: transport (approx 500 km), guidance, entrance fees, soft drinks and snacks
- On our way to Transfagarasan Road we will make multiple stops: Curtea de Arges Monastery (also visit its inside), Poienari Fortress and Vidraru Dam
- If the trip takes places during June - October, we will also do a scenic ride on the Transfagarasan Road
- You will also admire Balea Lake, the highest glacial lake in Romania. During winter time, an ice hotel opens here and you can enjoy a hot (or cold!) drink
- Plenty of photo opportunities along the way and we will stop in spots with great views of the surrounding landscapes
Due to weather restrictions, Transfagarasan Highway is open for driving only during June - October. During the rest of the year we can only admire it from the top.
Driving time one way: 3-4 hours.
Bring comfortable clothing but be advised that in the mountains it might get cold with variable weather conditions.
Moments to expect
Curtea de Arges Monastery
The construction of this splendid Byzantine monastery with Moorish (Arab) influences began in 1514 on the site of a church built by the Wallachian ruler Vlad Dracul (father of Vlad the Impaler) destroyed by a strong earthquake 50 years before. Its construction faced many challenges giving birth to many legends, including a very famous one which became a Romanian saying - about Manole's wife. I'll tell you all about it :)
Vidraru Lake and Dam
Continuing our route towards Transfagarasan Highway, we stop at Vidraru Dam to admire splendid views.
This magnificent road between the mountains has a story of its own: it was built during the communist regime for a special purpose using dynamite and many other resources. While you admire the splendid views I will tell you its history
- Starting point: Bucharest
- Nearest airport: Bucharest Henri Coanda International
- Nearest train station: Bucharest North Train Station
- Landscape: Mountains & countryside
Reviews from travellers
I can honestly say that this was one of the best day trips I have taken so far. My guide Bogdan was very knowledgeable, polite and easy to get along with. I had a lot of fun, learned a lot about Romania and saw a lot of great things. I can't complain about anything. Still can't decide which is more beautiful: Transfagarasan or Vidraru Lake. I'd like to visit more of your beautiful country in the future, thank you Romanian Friend :)
We had a great day driving with Bogdan on a tour to see Transfagarasan Highway. The mountain scenery was spectacular in the autumn colours. Bogdan was an excellent guide during the whole day. Very friendly and knowledgeable, with a good sense of humour and a keen eye for Romanian landscape and photo opportunities. Thanks to Bogdan we came back a lot wiser on Romanian history as well. We can wholeheartedly recommend taking this ride and we will definitely contact Romanian Friend again next time we visit Romania!
Other tours nearby
Start from: Brasov (pick-up)
Start from: Sibiu
Start from: Bucharest
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?