Road trip on Transfagarasan HighwayWith: Bogdan 12
What you need to know about the Transfagarasan Road tour:
- This is a private guided day trip starting from Bucharest. Duration aprox. 12 hours
- Included: transport (approx 500 km), guidance, entrance fees, soft drinks and snacks. Not included: lunch
- On our way to Transfagarasan Road we will make multiple stops: Curtea de Arges Monastery (also visit its inside), Poienari Fortress and Vidraru Dam
- If the trip takes places during June - October, we will also do a scenic ride on the Transfagarasan Road
- You will also admire Balea Lake, the highest glacial lake in Romania. During winter time, an ice hotel opens here and you can enjoy a hot (or cold!) drink
- Plenty of photo opportunities along the way and we will stop in spots with great views of the surrounding landscapes
Due to weather restrictions, Transfagarasan Highway is open for driving only during June - October. During the rest of the year we can only admire it from the top.
Driving time one way: 3-4 hours.
Bring comfortable clothing but be advised that in the mountains it might get cold with variable weather conditions.
Moments to expect during the Transfagarasan Highway tour:
Curtea de Arges Monastery
The construction of this splendid Byzantine monastery with Moorish (Arab) influences began in 1514 on the site of a church built by the Wallachian ruler Vlad Dracul (father of Vlad the Impaler) destroyed by a strong earthquake 50 years before. Its construction faced many challenges giving birth to many legends, including a very famous one which became a Romanian saying - about Manole's wife. I'll tell you all about it :)
Vidraru Lake and Dam
Continuing our route towards Transfagarasan Highway, we stop at Vidraru Dam to admire splendid views of Romanian nature!
This magnificent road between the mountains has a story of its own: it was built during the communist regime for a special purpose using dynamite and many other resources. While you admire the splendid views I will tell you its history
- Starting point: Bucharest
- Nearest airport: Bucharest Henri Coanda International
- Nearest train station: Bucharest North Train Station
- Landscape: Mountains & countryside
Other tours nearby
Start from: Brasov (pick-up)
Start from: Sibiu
Start from: Brasov
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?