Sites & Bites of Sibiu: Street Food, Ciorba & Specialty CoffeeWith: Cristian 1
What you need to know
- This is a private food & sightseeing tour of Sibiu for small groups. Duration: 3 hours
- Included: guidance from a native foodie of Sibiu and 4 food tastings or pit stops
- You will try an old recipe for street pastry then visit Cibin Food Market to see fresh produce from local farmers
- Then we move into a small restaurant in Old Town to try ciorba (sour soup) and learn why this dish and its regional varieties is a staple of Romanian meals
- We start the tour in a library where I give you an introduction to Transylvanian cuisine and finish in a specialty coffeeshop with a delicious treat
Exact meeting point and starting time will be agreed after your booking is confirmed. My schedule is flexible.
This is a walking tour so please wear comfortable shoes
Moments to expect
Old Town Sibiu
We start our tour with a short walk around Sibiu Old Town. I will tell you a couple of things about the history of my city while we head for the kitchen of a small pastry shop to try a regional, old and delicious street food snack made with cabbage and mushrooms!
Farmers' Food Market
Visiting a Romanian food market will be a cultural shock for you. The colours, noises and smells of fresh, seasonal and homegrown products will invade your senses. Here we try 2 cheese specialties straight from producers, assorted with a platter of cured meat specialties for which Sibiu is so famous all over Romania! This is the essence of Romania's rural-inspired cuisine!
Any typical lunch in Romania will serve a ciorba as a 1st course before the main. This delicious sour soup is like a warm broth with a combination of vegetables and meats. Each region of the country has its own varieties and recipes, but one thing is clear - it's filling, delicious and easy to make! You will try the most representative for Sibiu area and see for yourself!
Specialty coffee & sweet treat
No lunch is complete without a coffee - and that's what we'll have in a place called 'Coffee Archive'. Enjoy a delicious specialty coffee (or tea) and find out how important this magical drink is for Romanians - and what's the usual way to drink it. Oh, and have a piece of cake!
- Starting point: Sibiu
- Nearest airport: Sibiu
- Nearest train station: Sibiu
- Landscape: Urban
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?