Day Trip: Village Life & Picnic in Sibiu CountrysideWith: Adela 8
What you need to know about the Sibiu countryside tour:
- This is a private day trip from Sibiu available on request. Duration: about 8 hours
- Included: transport, entrance fees, guidance and picnic with local products. Not included: souvenirs, extra drinks.
- You will admire the beautiful countryside of Transylvania! We will visit traditional villages around Sibiu and go walking over the hills.
- You will have free time to explore on your own and also the opportunity to meet locals and buy home-made products or souvenirs from them.
- At the end we will enjoy an outdoor picnic with traditional and local products from Sibiu.
Comfortable shoes recommended. In the afternoon, depending on season, it might get chilly so please bring a light jacket or sweater with you.
Moments to expect in the Sibiu countryside trip:
Cristian Fortified Church
The village of Cristian is where Saxons and Landlers used to live. It is a multicultural place with so many nice stories. It will be our first stop and introduction into the history of Sibiu region and Transylvania.
Sibiu Icon Glass Museum
This unique museum has the most beautiful and biggest collection of Orthodox icons in Romania, and probably Eastern Europe. You will learn about the important role religion played in Romanian history and culture and see how painting styles evolved over time.
Dating back to the 12th century, this is among the first fortresses built in Transylvania. Though an amazing construction for its time, it is now in ruins. Nevertheless, there is much history to be learned here and an amazing view over the surrounding area.
View above the village
If the weather is nice, we'll have a relaxing walk on the hills overlooking the villages. We'll learn how our Dacian ancestors built here a fortress 2000 years ago, how Autro-Hungarian authorities built a customs and brought soldiers to guard the mountain passageways and, finally, how the Romanian and German troups fought on these hills during WWI. All this while admiring superb views!
- Starting point: Sibiu
- Nearest airport: Sibiu or Cluj International
- Nearest train station: Sibiu Train Station
- Landscape: Countryside, hills
Reviews from travellers
I had a very interesting day with Adela visiting villages around Sibiu! She is like an encyclopedia with lots of interesting things to tell me about old and recent history of the area, and could answer all my (many!) questions. Romanian Friend is a very useful site, with lots of info and helpful staff on the chat! A great asset in planning a trip to beautiful Romania!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?