The Wine Tour of Romania: Cellars, Manors & Wine TastingWith: Alina 3
What you need to know about this wine tour of Romania:
- This is a private day trip starting from Bucharest. Duration: 8-10 hours. 2 days advance booking required
- Included: transport (aprox. 240 km), guidance, wine tasting session, 3 course traditional meal and entrance to Bellu Manor Museum
- You will visit a premium wine producer and taste 6 varieties of wine (from 20 available) with a sommelier's guidance, paired with local cheese
- Next, we visit Bellu Manor, a traditional and well-preserved 'boyar' house now turned museum, to learn about Romanian wine-making history
- You will enjoy a delicious and traditional 3-course meal with local products at a superb manor-restaurant, paired with local wine!
- Optional: secondary tasting of 3 wines at a second wine producer in the area for 10€ (available on booking page)
If you plan on doing the tour during Autumn harvest, you will also see parts of the wine production process live and taste grapes!
Pick-up & drop-off to your hotel / accommodation included.
Moments to expect in the wine tasting tour of Romania:
Visit an old and beautiful countryside manor
We start our trip from Bucharest by driving to the small town of Urlati where we visit a superb manor-now-museum built in the 1850s in a typical Romanian architectural style: Bellu Manor. Its owner was a 'boyar', a rich landowner class from feudal times, influential in Romanian politics and economy. This is a marvellous example of old Romanian lifestyle and culture with many original, well-preserved exhibits.
A premium wine tasting with local cheese and superb views!
Next we drive to Ființești village to visit Lacerta Winery, one of the most modern in the region and a premium wine producer. We will visit their splendid vineyard, production areas and cellars, and then choose 6 wine varieties (out of 20) to taste, accompanied by a wine lesson from their staff. You will also enjoy a platter of local cheeses to go with the wine! And the views... superb!
Enjoy a delicious meal in a superb setting!
We then return to Urlati at Urlateanu Manor, another traditional boyar house once the home of Prahova county's richest. Here we enjoy a traditional 3-course meal with locally sourced products - and wines! - in the beautifully decorated restaurant, learn more about the wine-producing history of the region and enjoy a good time before we return to Bucharest.
Optional: secondary wine tasting
Urlateanu Manor also has a wine cellar of its own, beautifully preserved and located on the top of a nearby hill with great views of the entire area. Here you can enjoy a second wine tasting with different varieties [10 Euro/person extra cost].
- Starting point: Bucharest
- Nearest airport: Bucharest International Henri Coanda Airport
- Nearest train station: North Train Station
- Landscape: Hills and countryside
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?