Medieval Heritage of Transylvania: Sighisoara Citadel & Fortified VillagesWith: Adela 16
What you need to know
- This is a private day trip from Sibiu to Sighisoara and the fortified villages of Transylvania. Duration: about 8-10 hours
- We will visit many UNESCO sights: Sighisoara Citadel, the village of Biertan, Mosna and/or Alma Vii (depending on time left)
- This will be a road trip in the beautiful countryside of Transylvania - you will see local life and pass through many traditional villages!
- The exact route and time spent in each location depends on your preference, weather and traffic conditions
- Included: transport and guidance. I know some good places with traditional food we can stop for lunch on our trip (not included)
Comfortable clothing and shoes are recommended. We will be walking mostly on cobble stoned streets.
Moments to expect
The UNESCO Sighisoara Citadel is Europe's best preserved and still inhabited medieval fortress. Built on top of a hill overlooking Transylvania's hills, German influences are heavy in these parts. I will show you colourful houses, details and stories so you can see the charm of Sighisoara!
Mosna Fortified Church
Recently restored, the fortified church in Mosna is one of the most beautiful in Transylvania. We have added it in our itinerary to support restoration works and to learn how these abandoned communities are trying to come back to life!
Biertan UNESCO Fortified Church
The village of Biertan is well known for its towering church that can be seen in the distance. It's a real fortress with lots of interesting stories: the Bacon Tower, the Marriage Prison, the Catholic tower, the best fortified door in Transylvania - curious to hear them?
Alma Vii Fortress
Another village in the group of Saxon settlements part of UNESCO heritage, the charming Alma Vii village has a wonderful church which is a symbol of how nature and medieval architecture have combined to create Transylvania's unique heritage.
- Starting point: Sibiu
- Nearest airport: Sibiu or Cluj International
- Nearest train station: Sibiu Train Station
- Landscape: Countryside and hills
Reviews from travellers
Professional, funny and timely services!
A very enjoyable tour, taking in the UNESCO sights, and the lovely landscapes of rural Transylvania. Our guide, Adela, was very informative, well organised, and most fluent in English. Thank you!
Adela was great and very knowledgeable! We learned so much and had a great day! With help from Romanian Friend we were able to do this tour through a last minute booking. We definitely recommend Adela and Romanian Friend when visiting Romania!
Adela was a super guide with tremendous knowledge of Sibiu area and ability to help us understand the history of Transylvania, its architecture and the current economic conditions in Romania. Thank you!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?