Medieval Heritage of Transylvania: Sighisoara Citadel & Fortified VillagesWith: Adela 36
What you need to know about the Sighisoara day trip from Sibiu:
- This is a day trip from Sibiu to Sighisoara and the fortified Saxon villages of Transylvania. Duration: 8-10 hours
- Included: transport, guidance and admission fees. I know some good places with traditional food we can stop for lunch on our trip (not included)
- We will visit many UNESCO sights: Sighisoara Citadel, the village of Biertan, Mosna or the UNESCO heritage Viscri village.
- This will be a road trip in the beautiful countryside of Transylvania - you will see local life and pass through many traditional villages!
- The exact route and time spent in each location depends on your preference, weather and traffic conditions.
- Unless you specifically mention that you want a private tour, there might be other travelers joining you on this trip (max group size of 6).
- If you decide for the visit at Viscri instead of Mosna, the extra cost will be of 25 Euro/ person. We can include other villages too if you're interested.
Comfortable clothing and shoes are recommended. We will be walking mostly on cobble stoned streets.
Moments to expect during the Transylvania day trip from Sibiu:
The UNESCO Sighisoara Citadel is Europe's best preserved and still inhabited medieval fortress. Built on top of a hill overlooking Transylvania's hills, German influences are heavy in these parts. I will show you colourful houses, details and stories so you can see the charm of Sighisoara!
Mosna Fortified Church
Recently restored, the fortified church in Mosna is one of the most beautiful in Transylvania. We have added it in our itinerary to support restoration works and to learn how these abandoned communities are trying to come back to life!
Biertan UNESCO Fortified Church
The village of Biertan is well known for its towering church that can be seen in the distance. It's a real fortress with lots of interesting stories: the Bacon Tower, the Marriage Prison, the Catholic tower, the best fortified door in Transylvania - curious to hear them?
The UNESCO Viscri Village
This is an optional visit (it is further from Sighisoara and it includes extra costs) but you can enjoy a lovely walk and a visit at the Viscri fortified church. This village is, probably, one of the most authentic and beautiful villages in Transylvania!
- Starting point: Sibiu
- Nearest airport: Sibiu or Cluj International
- Nearest train station: Sibiu Train Station
- Landscape: Countryside and hills
Reviews from travellers
Booking this tour was an excellent option and exactly what I was looking for. Adela was accommodating and flexible and helped me see other interesting churches since I had previously been to Sighisoara. I definitely would recommend.
It's an informative and rewarding trip with a helpful and friendly guide, thank you!
Adela was a great guide, informative and pleasant , someone who makes your trip very enjoyable and knowledgeable.
Adela is a wonderful guide and the tour was a great day around old Saxon towns and villages. I would highly recommend this tour as a great introduction to the area with a guide who really cares about the history of Transylvania and Romania!
Professional, funny and timely services!
A very enjoyable tour, taking in the UNESCO sights, and the lovely landscapes of rural Transylvania. Our guide, Adela, was very informative, well organised, and most fluent in English. Thank you!
Adela was great and very knowledgeable! We learned so much and had a great day! With help from Romanian Friend we were able to do this tour through a last minute booking. We definitely recommend Adela and Romanian Friend when visiting Romania!
Adela was a super guide with tremendous knowledge of Sibiu area and ability to help us understand the history of Transylvania, its architecture and the current economic conditions in Romania. Thank you!
Other tours nearby
Start from: Brasov
Start from: Cund
Start from: Cluj-Napoca
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?