Local Dishes & Drinks in Sighisoara CitadelWith: Cristian 2
What you need to know
- A private food tour in Sighisoara for small groups - duration 4,5 h. Minimum booking required for 2 people
- The price includes guidance and food tastings: sour soups, main dishes, deserts, alcoholic and non-alcoholic and drinks
- This is a walking tour in the citadel's old streets so please wear comfortable shoes
- You’ll also receive a map of Sighișoara and five old recipes from the area
Our tour will be outside for most of the time.
Moments to expect
Introduction to Sighisoara's local cuisine
We start by visiting the oldest school of Sighișoara where we will talk about the food culture of Southern Transylvania. We'll try some local cheese and delicious pork specialities. To quench our thirst we try some locally-made white wine. Finally, you'll get an introduction to various sweet and sour soups of Romanian cuisine, the everyday meal for the majority of Transylvanian folk!
Transylvanian gastronomy at its best!
The feast continues with an 400 year old Saxon dish recipe, reinterpreted by an open-minded chef from a local restaurant. Then, we sample the Romanian spirit tuica (similar to schnaps or rakija), a staple of Transylvanian taste and made naturally out of fruits. Finally you will try some of the most representative sweet recipes and cakes, baked by the guide himself!
Visiting medieval Sighisoara
This is a food-focused tour but since we're surrounded by history and medieval landmarks, you will also learn interesting things about the UNESCO Sighisoara Citadel and get to see some hidden corners of the old medieval town!
- Starting point: Sighisoara
- Nearest airport: Targu Mures
- Nearest train station: Sighisoara
- Landscape: Urban
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?