Sibiu Food Tour: Traditional, Reinterpreted & Gourmet DishesWith: Cristian 1
What you need to know about this food tour in Sibiu:
- A culinary experience tour around Sibiu's historic centre. Duration 4-5 hours, depending on your appetite!
- Included: guidance from a passionate foodie native of Sibiu and food & drinks tastings in 3 different locations
- The food tastings will take you through a culinary journey through Transylvanian cuisine, old & new, rural and urban. Come hungry!
- This walking tour will take you through a farmers' market and the main squares in Sibiu Old Town. I will also tell you some things about my city
- We'll also visit a cosy library, a favourite of locals, we'll you’ll receive a tourist map of Sibiu county and some cooking recipes!
Starting point and time will be agreed after your booking is confirmed. My schedule is flexible.
I recommend you bring a bottle of water, but we can also pick up one along the way.
We will be walking mostly outdoors in the Upper and Lower Old Town. Please wear comfortable shoes as there will be lots of cobbled streets
Moments to expect during the Sibiu food tour:
1st tasting: introduction to Transylvania's rural cuisine
We start our tour in one of Sibiu's nicest libraries where I will give you an introduction about the region's rural cuisine and multicultural influences. Then, we head to Cibin Food Market where you will taste varieties of regional cheese and cured meats (cow, goat & sheep) and 2 white wines - delicious samples of everyday food in Transylvania!
2nd tasting: Gourmet reinterpretation of old recipes
Next, we head to a small gourmet restaurant where traditional recipes from Transylvania have been reinterpreted and see how our gastronomy evolved over the years. You will get an introduction to Romanian sweet and sour soups (ciorba), the everyday meal of locals, taste a delicious reinterpretation of a 200-year-old Shepard recipe (bulz) before enjoying a glass local brandy (tzuica). Nom nom nom
Leave room for desert!
And since no meal is complete without a desert, our final stop will be in a hidden garden, tucked away from the busy city. Here we try a delicious homemade tarte or pie with marmelade from the season's wild fruits from alpine meadows and forests of the mountains around Sibiu. Just like my grandmother used to make!
- Starting point: Sibiu
- Nearest airport: Sibiu
- Nearest train station: Sibiu
- Landscape: Urban
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?