Picturesque Hiking Day Trip in 'Hay-Hut Country'With: Florin 1
What you need to know about this hiking tour from Sibiu
- This is a private tour starting from Sibiu. Duration: 7-8h
- Price includes: guidance, transport, picnic lunch. Water and snacks not included
- We have lots of hiking routes for all difficulty levels to choose from. Most trails are of medium difficulty, but lots of easy options too. We'll agree this on the spot depending on your physical condition, preferences and weather
- Average distance 6-8km. Altitude difference +/- will vary between 400 - 700m depending on the trail. Hiking boots or sports shoes with good soles required.
- We'll pass through villages, then go up in the hills to get amazing views of the area. You'll learn about culture, see locals and at the end enjoy a picnic lunch-with-a-view with traditional, organic products from the area! For the picnic, we will buy products from the village (cheese, bacon, bread).
- For groups of 4+ people we can organise a traditional lunch prepared by one of the shepherds from the village.
Outdoor equipment is required - especially hiking shoes, sun glasses, sun hat, waterproof jacket.
Please bring a backpack with you with a bottle of water, snacks and other small things you need.
Moments to expect in the Sibiu hiking tour:
Hiking in spectacular scenery
Let's enjoy the beautiful scenery waiting for us just outside Sibiu in the spectacular Carpathian Mountains! Rugged mountain peaks overlook soft hills, picturesque valleys with pastures and forests, mountain cabins and sheepfolds. It's idyllic, quiet and unspoilt. Spending time in the beautiful Romanian outdoors while learning about our rural culture is the best thing you can do on your holiday!
Explore the "Hay-Hut Ecovillage"
The Hay Hut Ecovillage is an area up in the mountains famous for its natural heritage. It is an area with many sheepfolds and mountain cabins, the perfect place to experience ecotourism, slow food and slow living. We'll meet local shepherds, learn about their daily life, discover what mountain agriculture means and - why not? - pick berries, do some mowing, go 'forest bathing' and if we're lucky even see some wildlife roaming the area!
Delicious picnic with traditional products
After our hiking trip we deserve a delicious meal! I'll set up a picnic-with-a-view with delicious products sourced from the area so you see what all these people are working for and why Sibiu was a European Region of Gastronomy in 2019! Seasonal veggies, cheese and cold cuts that you'll want me to tell you where to buy yourself!
Cancelation & refund policyEasy
Sends us or the guide an email 24h before the tour informing us you can't make it and you'll get a full refund of your payment, no questions asked.
- Starting point: Sibiu
- Nearest airport: Sibiu International Airport
- Nearest train station: Sibiu
- Landscape: Mountains and hills
Reviews from travellers
We started our tour on a morning with perfect weather. Florin picked us up on time in a very comfortable car and we drove to the countryside. During the ride he shared interesting insights about the history and particularities of the area and we picked up some agricultural products from a local shepherd family. We started our hike perfectly equipped with sticks (not mandatory but useful) and enjoyed a wonderful day in the hills. We felt safe and well taken care of during the whole time and we can highly recommend this tour. Be equipped for a hike in the wild - bring proper shoes and clothing!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?