Hike to Glacial Lakes in the Wild Carpathian MtsWith: Dan 1
What you need to know
- This is a private day trip on request trip starting from Bucharest. Duration: 11-12 hours
- Included: transport (approx. 300 km, 3h per way) and guidance. Not included: lunch pack and supplies
- We will hike in the Carpathian Mountains for the entire day and a very good physical condition and hiking experience is needed [read more on page 2]
- We start the hike at 1000m and go all the way up to the highest peak at 2135m in about 5h. You need to have adequate hiking gear and equipment
- The landscapes and photo opportunities on our way will be amazing, as these parts of the Carpathian Mts are completely wild!
Necessary equipment for the hike: light backpack (20 l max.), hiking boots or similar, fleece jacket, windproof/waterproof jacket, water (2 l), snacks for the day (ex: peanuts, almonds, chocolate, dried fruits), something to cover the head, mountain pants or similar (windproof and waterproof).
There are no huts on the route and no water sources. In case you want, we can have dinner at a restaurant nearby on the way back to Bucharest after the hike.
2 hrs to get back to the car. The tour can be altered on the spot depending on the weather, physical condition of the guests, other relevant aspects.
Moments to expect
Hiking up to Iezer sheep fold
We start our hike at 1,000m altitude with approx. 2 hrs of uphill hiking through forests and meadows. Finally, we reach the Iezer sheepfold where might meet Romanian shepherds. We take a break to admire superb views of Vacarea ridge and distant peaks in the Carpathian Mts!
Admire wild landscapes
On our hike, you will want to stop many times to admire the beautiful landscapes of the Carpathian Mountains and take photos of your trip. The Iezer Papusa Mts. are untouched and unspoiled by civilisation, a rare sight in the world!
Our hiking effort is finally rewarded when we reach the glacial lake of Iezer Papusa Mts. With crystal green and ice-cold water in a peaceful and quiet scenery, this is a perfect place to relax and contemplate nature's beauty. We spend our last moments here at 2,100m before starting our downhill hike.
- Starting point: Bucharest
- Nearest airport: Bucharest Henri Coanda International Airport
- Nearest train station: Bucharest North Railway Station
- Landscape: Mountainous, hills, forests
Other tours nearby
Start from: Podu Dambovitei, Brasov or Zarnesti
Start from: Brasov
Start from: Zarnesti or Podu Dambovitei
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?