Hiking & Wildlife Tracking Trip in the CarpathiansWith: Simona 1
What you need to know about this hiking & wildlife tracking trip from Brasov
- This is a private day trip organised by a conservationist non-profit. Starting time, hiking route and difficulty level to be agreed after confirmation
- Included: off-road transport into the mountains, hiking guidance and wildlife scouting in a natural protected area
- Seeing animals live is NOT guaranteed as nature cannot be controlled and safety is always our first priority. If you want to see animals we need to go to the observation hide (tour extension)
- We will go hiking deep in Fagaras Mts through forests and beautiful natural scenery! Physical effort can vary from low to medium depending on the hiking route you choose and your fitness level
- The guide will teach you about animals' natural habitat, tell you about wildlife in the area and show you tracks and marks. We will give you some binoculars too
- The tour starts from Zarnesti or Podu Dambovitei, early morning (5-6 am) or before noon. Pick-up from Brasov possible at an extra cost
- This trip will support the non-profit's conservation activity in the area. Please read page 2 for more details
Please wear appropriate hiking clothes and footwear, preferably in dark/green colours to blend in with the surroundings. Also pay attention to weather conditions and season. Early morning and in the evening can be very cold.
Please avoid using any perfume or strong odours because animals will smell you.
Scouting for wildlife does not mean you will also see animals live, and in fact we don't want to run into bears or wild boars! If you want to see animals live in the wild on this trip please choose the tour extension to the wildlife observation hide.
Payment in full required when booking.
Moments to expect on this hiking & wildlife tracking tour from Brasov
Approaching Fagaras Mountains and Romania's wilderness!
This trip actually starts from Podu Dambovitei with some off-road driving through Dambovita Valley. As we go deeper into the wild forests of Fagaras Mts the landscape changes quickly and signs of animal life become more common: otters in the river, tracks of deers, roe deers, wild boar, wolves and bears.
Your guide will present options for hiking routes and you can choose depending on your preferences and fitness level. We can go check wildlife observation cameras, look for tracks and fresh marks from animals in the area and go open clearings where we may spot animals from a distance. You will learn about wildlife in Romania, their natural environment and how important it is to protect it!
In Fagaras Mts you will find raw and unspoilt natural landscapes that are worth every bit of effort! We will stop and admire the view, take photos, enjoy the fresh air and marvel at nature's wonderful harmony in these parts of Romania!
Tour extension: Live wildlife watching
If you want to see wild animals live and in safe conditions, we need to go to a nearby observation hide in Dambovita Valley where we'll spend 2-3 hours waiting for them to show up (very high chances, but not guaranteed as nature cannot be controlled)
[tour extension available at extra cost when booking]
- Starting point: Podu Dambovitei, Zarnesti or Brasov
- Nearest airport: Bucharest Henri Coanda International Airport
- Nearest train station: Brasov or Campulung
- Landscape: Mountainous & forrest
Reviews from travellers
This was my favorite of the daytrips from Brasov! I loved being able to spend time in nature, completely away from other people and tourists. We saw tracks of bear, deer and boar during the trek, which the guide pointed out to me and explained. The guide Iulia was the highlight of the day - she was wonderful company, very passionate about nature and conservation, and tailored the trekking route to my needs. I feel that I learned a lot about animal tracking, and about the important conservation work that is taking place in the Romanian Carpathian mountains - this was one of my goals, so I am very satisfied. To top eveything off we then saw a brown bear from the wildlife-viewing lodge at dusk. I would highly recommend this tour, and especially Iulia who made the day truly exceptional for me - she is a fantastic ambassador for Romania tourism!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?