3-day Hiking & Wildlife Trip in the Wild CarpathiansWith: Robert 9
What you need to know about this wildlife hiking trip in Romania:
- IMPORTANT: due to the cabin's LIMITED places (6 beds) and VERY HIGH demand, please book in advance as soon as you can and keep your dates flexible so we can match you with a group
- STARTING POINT: Rucar at 13:00 (Arges county, 70km from Brasov) or Brasov (transfer on request with extra cost) for people who love nature, mountaineering & want to see animals in the wild! Runs only in April - October.
- INCLUDED: transport with 4x4 vehicle from Rucar, 2 nights accommodation at the cabin, all meals, hiking guidance and wildlife observation with a specialized guide. Trip can be extended with 1d/1n
- FACILITIES: You'll stay in a specially-built mountain wood cabin with a basic kitchen, bunk beds, outdoor dry toilet. No running water or electricity. We provide sleeping bags on cots but you need to bring sleeping bag liner (or rent from us)
- ATTENTION: Hiking in the area requires a good physical condition (medium to high difficulty). Routes will be agreed on the spot depending on weather, your fitness and preferences.
- LOCALLY SOURCED PRODUCTS: Don't worry about food - the guide will prepare meals with delicious, locally-sourced products and ingredients [included in price]. Drinks included also!
- WILDLIFE CONSERVATION: The trip is organised by a Romanian non-profit organisation for wildlife conservation in a non-tourist area. All funds will support their work!
- This is NOT a touristic area and there are no shops or guesthouses in the area. No roads either. This is complete wilderness! Please read next page for more info
- IMPORTANT: due to high demand for this trip, limited spots in the cabin and complex logistics of this trip, our partner will ask you to pay the full cost of the trip after your booking is confirmed. The full amount is refundable if you cancel 30 days before the tour.
- NECESSARY EQUIPMENT: Hiking/outdoor clothing and footwear according to season and weather in the mountains at high altitudes (usually cold); Day backpack; Warm clothes (it might be chilly in the morning and late evening); Rain jacket; Sun hat/sunglasses; Headlamp or torch, batteries; Mosquito spray (optional)
Transfers from Brasov (100 Euro) and Bucharest or Sibiu (310 Euro) available at extra cost on booking page.
At Comisu Hide, you will find: an Eco-friendly, wooden building with rustic design; Bunk beds and sleeping bags; Kitchenette; Towels; Rustic fireplace; Outdoor toilets; Large windows for wildlife watching and wildlife photography; Binoculars; Fresh air, tranquillity and great company!
There is NO Wi-fi, Electricity, Running water or Shower
Large trolleys and bags will be left in the car as they CANNOT be taken up to the cabin. Please bring a backpack to take the essentials with you to the cabin. You will be escorted by a mountain guide at all times during your trip.
Wildlife observation in safe conditions, but spotting animals is not guaranteed - nature cannot be controlled.
10% deposit of the tour price will be paid when booking. Balance will be paid right after your booking is confirmed.
Price fully refundable if you cancel with up to 30 days before the trip or 50% if 15 days before. Not refundable if less than that.
Moments to expect during the wildlife observation trip
Day 1: enter Fagaras Mountains
We start our journey in Rucar village, Arges county or Brasov (on request) around noon and enter Fagaras Mts. by offroad car. We leave the car and start hiking our way deeper into the mountains with only essentials with us. On our way, we become familiar with the area and start looking for signs or tracks of wild animals and other forest-dwelling creatures!
Hike to our wildlife observation refuge at 1,600m
We hike our way up the mountains to reach the wildlife observation hide at Comisu, located in a completely wild and not unpopulated area. Made out of wood with a rustic feeling and large windows, it blends in with the natural setting and offers spectacular views of the surrounding area! Animals sometimes pass in the area so we can do wildlife observation 'from home' :)
Day 2 & 3: introduction to wildlife watching and tracking
During this trip you will learn about Mother Nature's ecosystem in the Carpathian Mts. Our specialised mountain guide will give you binoculars and teach you about animals' natural habitat and take you on wildlife tracking and observation trips. We check forest observation cameras, look for animal tracks and enjoy the superb views in the area while hiking! Keep in mind that seeing animals is not guaranteed as nature cannot be controlled but in these parts the chances are very high: bears, deer, boars, foxes, eagles, etc.
Hiking in Fagaras Mountains
We are in the heart of Fagaras Mountains - Transylvania's Alps. There are plenty of hiking trails to choose from, of various difficulty and rewards. We can go up to 2,100m, circle Pecineagu Lake or explore other nearby peaks. Prepare for some mountain adventures!
[Tour extension] Spend another day in the wilderness
For an extra 115 Euro/person [with everything included] you can stay another night and day here and enjoy the wilderness! Besides the obvious reasons for this, there's one you can't anticipate right now: the silence, fresh air and raw beauty of this wild area is absolutely addictive!
NEW: Bisons reserve & rewilding programme
Our organisation recently started a bison rewilding program hoping to reintroduce these precious, gentle and large animals in the wilderness of Romania! The bisons are currently in a camp close to the cabin and we will go visit them, learn why they became extinct and how the process of rewilding them is done!
Ready to disconnect?
We are DEEP in the wilderness of the Carpathian Mts, in a non-touristy area with no roads or other villages nearby. There is NO phone signal (except on certain peaks in the areas), no wi-fi or electricity. You will be completely immersed in nature's beauty and silence and disconnect from busy civilisation. Are you ready for this unique experience?
Cancelation & refund policyHard
Sends us or the guide an email 30 days before the tour informing us you can't make it and you'll get a full refund of your payment, no questions asked.
- Starting point: Rucar village, Arges county
- Nearest airport: Bucharest Henri Coanda International Airport
- Nearest train station: Zarnesti or Brasov
- Landscape: Mountainous & forrest
Reviews from travellers
All our dreams were fulfilled. We saw bears, had a great hike of 30 km in the mountains and last but not least we had the brilliant guide Razvan. He was so good with our son who has a mental handicap, was responsible, … The hide was so beautiful and the food was excellent,…It was a ‘top experience’! Thanks a lot to Romanian Friend who made this possible after many attempts!
Great tour! We got to see various wild animals (bears, bisons, a boar, deers) and enjoyed some hikes and tranquility in the beautiful nature of Fagaras mountains. Our guide Radu provided us with a lot of information about wildlife, romanian history and geography. We recommend!
Amazing! We had a very nice tour. Everything was good, with beautiful sight from the cabin, wonderful nature and really nice guides. We will definitely come back one day
We loved our stay in the Fagaras Mountain Cabin. Andrei, our guide, was a really nice guy to hang out with. He talked with passion about wildlife in the Fagaras Mountains and the work that is done by their non-profit organisation and life in general in Romania. We were lucky to see a mama bear with her cub in the evening, hanging around in front of the cabin. The European bizons were around several times. We booked this tour for 2020 but Romanian Friend was very flexible with us changing dates and other details, I highly recommend their service!
Our time at the hide with Vlad was absolutely brilliant. We can’t help but feel very lucky to have seen boar, bear and deer up close and personal all in one evening! The views from the mountain top were breathtaking and we saw lots of tracks on our hike. Thank you Romanian Friend for a wonderful experience - we will never forget it!
Other tours nearby
Start from: Rucar, Arges county or Brasov
Start from: Rucar, Arges county
Start from: Bucharest
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?