3-day Hiking & Wildlife Trip at a Mountain Cabin in Fagaras Mts.With: Simona 2
What you need to know about this wildlife observation trip:
- A 3-day hiking trip starting from Podu Dambovitei (70 km from Brasov) or Brasov (transfer on request) for people who love nature, mountaineering & want to see animals in the wild
- Included: transport with 4x4 vehicle from Podu Dambovitei, 2 nights accommodation at the cabin, all meals, hiking guidance and wildlife observation with a specialised guide
- You'll stay in a specially-built mountain wood cabin with a basic kitchen, bunk beds, outdoor dry toilet. No running water or electricity. We provide sleeping bags on cots but you need to bring sleeping bag liner (or rent from us)
- Hiking in the area requires a good physical condition (medium to high difficulty). Routes will be agreed on the spot depending on weather, your fitness and preferences
- There are 2 wildlife observation hides in the area we will use for observing animals. This is not guaranteed as nature can't be controlled, but chances are very high and we'll do our best!
- Don't worry about food - the guide will prepare meals with delicious, locally-sourced products and ingredients [included in price]. Drinks included also!
- The trip is organised by a Romanian non-profit organisation for wildlife conservation. All funds will support their work!
- Important: please read next page for more info
Transfers from Brasov (60 Euro) and Bucharest or Sibiu (240 Euro) available at extra cost on booking page.
Please note that this is NOT a touristic area and there are no other shops / guesthouses / bars.
Please bring adequate hiking equipment: Hiking/outdoor clothing and footwear according to season and weather in the mountains at high altitudes (usually cold); Day backpack; Warm clothes (it might be chilly in the morning and late evening); Rain jacket; Sun hat/sunglasses; Headlamp or torch, batteries; Mosquito spray (optional)
At Comisu Hide, you will find: an Eco-friendly, wooden building with rustic design; Bunk beds and sleeping bags; Kitchenette; Towels; Rustic fireplace; Outdoor toilets; Large windows for wildlife watching and wildlife photography; Binoculars; Fresh air, tranquillity and great company!
At Comisu Hide, you will NOT find: Wi-fi; Electricity; Running water; Shower
Large trolleys and bags will be left in the car as they CANNOT be taken up to the cabin. Please bring a backpack to take the essentials with you to the cabin. You will be escorted by a mountain guide at all times during your trip.
Wildlife observation in safe conditions, but spotting animals is not guaranteed - nature cannot be controlled.
10% deposit of the tour price will be paid when booking. 90% will be paid through bank transfer after the booking is confirmed. Cancelation policy:
0-30 zile before the tour starts = 100% penalty
30 - 60 days before the tour starts = 50% penalty
60 days before the tour starts = fully refundable
Moments to expect during the wildlife observation trip
Enter Fagaras Mountains
We start our journey in Podu Dambovitei or Brasov (on request) around noon and enter Fagaras Mts. by offroad car. We leave the car and start hiking our way deeper into the mountains with only essentials with us. On our way, we become familiar with the area and start looking for signs or tracks of wild animals and other forest-dwelling creatures!
Our wildlife observation refuge at 1,700m
We hike our way up the mountains to reach the wildlife observation hide at Comisu, located in a completely wild and not unpopulated area. Made out of wood with a rustic feeling and large windows, it blends in with the natural setting and offers spectacular views of the surrounding area! Animals sometimes pass in the area so we can do wildlife observation 'from home' :)
Introduction to wildlife watching and tracking
During this trip you will learn about Mother Nature's ecosystem in the Carpathian Mts. Our specialised mountain guide will give you binoculars and teach you about animals' natural habitat and take you on wildlife tracking and observation trips. We check forest observation cameras, look for animal tracks and enjoy the superb views in the area while hiking! Keep in mind that seeing animals is not guaranteed as nature cannot be controlled but in these parts the chances are very high: bears, deer, boars, foxes, eagles, etc.
Hiking in Fagaras Mountains
We are in the heart of Fagaras Mountains - Transylvania's Alps. There are plenty of hiking trails to choose from, of various difficulty and rewards. We can go up to 2,100m, circle Pecineagu Lake or explore other nearby peaks. Prepare for some mountain adventures!
Facilities at the cabin/hide:
Our eco-friendly, purpose-built wooden cabin will be exclusively for you (it is not a tourist cabin!) and HAS bunk beds for sleeping bags, a kitchenette and rustic fireplace to keep us warm, outdoor toilets, fresh air, peaceful nature and great company! You will NOT have: running water/shower, wi-fi, phone reception or electricity. You will reconnect with nature and the wildlife around you!
NEW: Bisons reserve & rewilding programme
Our organisation recently started a bison rewilding program hoping to reintroduce these precious, gentle and large animals in the wilderness of Romania! The bisons are currently in a camp close to the cabin and we will go visit them, learn why they became extinct and how the process of rewilding them is done!
- Starting point: Zarnesti or Podu Dambovitei
- Nearest airport: Bucharest Henri Coanda International Airport
- Nearest train station: Zarnesti or Brasov
- Landscape: Mountainous & forrest
Reviews from travellers
Our time at the hide with Vlad was absolutely brilliant. We can’t help but feel very lucky to have seen boar, bear and deer up close and personal all in one evening! The views from the mountain top were breathtaking and we saw lots of tracks on our hike. Thank you Romanian Friend for a wonderful experience - we will never forget it!
Other tours nearby
Start from: Podu Dambovitei
Start from: Brasov
Start from: Brasov
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?