3-Day Hiking & Wildlife Trip at an Eco-Luxury Private Cabin in Fagaras MtsWith: Robert 9
What you need to know about this private hiking & wildlife trip:
- IMPORTANT: due to the cabin's LIMITED places (6 beds) and VERY HIGH demand for this experience, please book in advance as soon as you can and keep your dates flexible so we can match you with a group
- STARTING POINT: from Rucar at 13:00 (Arges county, 70 km from Brasov) or Brasov (transfer on request). Runs April - October only.
- INCLUDED: transport with 4x4 vehicle from Rucar, 2 nights accommodation at the cabin, all meals, hiking guidance and wildlife observation with a specialized guide. Trip can be extended with 1d/1n
- FACILITIES: You'll stay in our specially-built eco-luxury mountain cabin which has a basic kitchen, comfortable beds, bathroom with solar shower, all essentials provided and heating. No electricity, but spectacular views!
- ATTENTION: Physical effort can vary from medium to high. Each day you will go on guided hiking and wildlife observation trips. Routes and activities will be agreed on the spot depending on weather, your interests and group
- LOCALLY SOURCED PRODUCTS: Don't worry about food - all meals will be prepared by the guide with delicious, homegrown and locally sourced products. Local wines and traditional drinks included!
- WILDLIFE CONSERVATION: The trip is organised by a Romanian non-profit organisation for wildlife conservation in a non-tourist area. All funds will support their work!
- This is NOT a touristic area and there are no shops or guesthouses in the area. No roads either. This is complete wilderness! Please read next page for more info.
- IMPORTANT: due to high demand for this trip, limited spots in the cabin and complex logistics of this trip, our partner will ask you to pay the full cost of the trip after your booking is confirmed. The full amount is refundable if you cancel 30 days before the tour.
- NECESSARY EQUIPMENT: Hiking/outdoor clothing and footwear according to season and weather in the mountains at high altitudes (usually cold); Day backpack; Warm clothes (it might be chilly in the morning and late evening); Rain jacket; Sun hat/sunglasses; Headlamp or torch, batteries; Mosquito spray (optional)
Transfers from Brasov (100 Euro) and Bucharest or Sibiu (310 Euro) available at extra cost on booking page.
Facilities at the hide: Eco-friendly, wooden building with rustic design; Cosy beds (a double bed and 4 bunk beds), bed sheets, pillows and warm blankets; Fully-equipped kitchen; Rustic fireplace; Dining room with large windows for viewing; Restroom with toilet, solar shower (weather-permitting), sink with running water, free toiletries, towels; Large windows for wildlife watching (additional windows for professional cameras/wildlife photography facilities); Slippers; Rain ponchos; Wildlife and birdwatching equipment: binoculars and telescope for star-gazing; Field guides: birds, mammals, plants and other relevant brochures; Wildlife observation book (by noting down what animals you see, you take part in our conservation actions, while also helping our wildlife monitoring team); Fresh air, tranquillity and great company!
There is NO Wi-fi, phone reception or electricity!
Large trolleys and bags will be left in the car as they CANNOT be taken up to the cabin. Please bring a backpack to take the essentials with you to the cabin. You will be escorted by a mountain guide at all times during your trip.
Wildlife observation in safe conditions, but spotting animals is not guaranteed - nature cannot be controlled.
10% deposit of the tour price will be paid when booking. Balance will be paid right after your booking is confirmed.
Price fully refundable if you cancel with up to 30 days before the trip.
Moments to expect in the hiking and wildlife trip:
Day 1: enter Fagaras Mts & check-in
We meet Rucar village (Arges county, 70 km from Brasov; transfer from Brasov possible at extra cost) around noon and from there we venture into the wilderness, to the very heart of Fagaras Mountains! We go 1h30 min off-road in a 4x4 vehicle and then hike for 15-30 min to arrive at our beautiful cabin! True to Romanian hospitality, we begin our stay with a glass of organic sparkling wine and appetizers while admiring the superb views of Pecineagu Lake from the cabin. We take a short walk to explore the area and look for forest-dwelling locals. We come back before dusk, as that is the best time to spot wildlife roaming free in their natural habitat. In the evening we feast on a delicious menu and local wines!
[please read the second page of info about transfers, bags and required equipment]
Days 2 & 3: Hiking and wildlife observation trips
Wake up early in the morning for wildlife and bird observation while enjoying a fresh cup of coffee. Look for bears, wild boars, red deers, roe deers or foxes from the comfort of the hide! After a hearty breakfast with homegrown local products, we get ready to go hiking in the alpine meadows of Fagaras Mountains - amazing views await! We return in the afternoon, look for more wildlife and enjoy a delicious home-cooked dinner.
On the last day, we wake up in the morning for another chance to spot wildlife. After a delicious breakfast, we slowly start our descent and return to civilization. Please remember the trips will be customised according to your fitness level and/or medical conditions.
Our eco-friendly mountain cabin, your cozy home in the wilderness
You will stay at our specially built eco-friendly wooden cabin high up in the mountains with a BREATHTAKING view of Pecineagu Lake and surrounding mountains. The cabin has a private bathroom with solar shower and can accommodate up to 6 guests. You will enjoy organic food, locally sourced and local Romanian wines, too - all included in the package. How does that sound?
Amazing views from the cabin
There's a strong reason we call it a "nature observatory" - prepare for some spectacular views: sunrise, sunset, night sky - all perfect for admiring and nature photography!
NEW: Bisons reserve & rewilding programme
Our organisation recently started a bison rewilding program hoping to reintroduce these precious, gentle and large animals in the wilderness of Romania! The bisons are currently in a camp close to the cabin and we will go visit them - or see them in the wild - and learn why they became extinct and how the process of rewilding them is done!
Ready to disconnect?
We are DEEP in the wilderness of the Carpathian Mts, in a non-touristy area with no roads or other villages nearby. There is NO phone signal (except on certain peaks in the areas), no wi-fi or electricity. You will be completely immersed in nature's beauty and silence and disconnect from busy civilisation. Are you ready for this unique experience?
[Tour extension] Stay an extra night in the wilderness
For an extra 173 Euro/person [with everything included] you can stay another night here and enjoy the wilderness. Besides the obvious reasons for this, there's one you can't anticipate right now: the silence, fresh air and raw beauty of this wild area is absolutely addictive!
Cancelation & refund policyHard
Sends us or the guide an email 30 days before the tour informing us you can't make it and you'll get a full refund of your payment, no questions asked.
- Starting point: Rucar, Arges county
- Nearest airport: Otopeni (Bucharest airport) or Sibiu
- Nearest train station: Brasov or Zarnesti
- Landscape: Mountainous & forest
Reviews from travellers
Very informative site. Quick responses, good communication. Everything was as said. Incredible tour and wilderness experience, highly recommend!
What a fantastic trip! Our tour through Romanian Friend was excellent. The knowledge of the guide, the wildlife we saw, the scenery….it was executed brilliantly. The communication from booking to the tour starting was also fantastic. Would highly recommend.
If you love nature, this is worth a trip. Very skilled guides who were very flexible. The cabin has nice comfort standards for the mountains but still retained the primitive look / experience we were looking for. We were all very impressed by the nature and the wildlife around the cabin. Thank you!
We stayed for 3 nights at the Wildlife Hide. It was a wonderful experience feeling this far away from the world. Our guide took a lot of effort showing us the area around and he delighted us with some Romanian cuisine. The hike up to the cabin is quite challenging (not far, but steep). If you visit the Carpathians, this is definately a recommendation to stay! There are hides near Brasov that you can visit in mornings and evenings and they will show you more wildlife, but this trip is a different experience all-together: complete wilderness and nature! Thanks to Romanian Friend for assistance with our questions and booking!
We really loved our time on this trip. It was absolutely magical to be up in the mountains, hiking in the wild, and staying in this beautiful cabin. Cristian was our guide. The man knows everything! He answered every question we had about the foundation, the park, Romania's history, our surroundings. We were stunned. He was so friendly, sorted my girlfriend out with some vegan nibbles, and wine for us upon arrival, and checked in with us every step of the way, giving us an amazing hike that was both manageable and comfortably challenging, for two hiking novices. He was able to tell us about the paw prints in the snow, the trees, the call of the birds, a genuinely lovely man. The cabin itself is very cool, surrounded by a most dramatic background of mountains, lakes and forest. It snowed all day before we had arrived, so be warned the cabin can be very cold when you arrive, or when you're leaving, but heats up so so quickly and it's the cosiest place once it does -despite the flies, who also seem to love the heat! We were also really grateful to be picked up and dropped off so conveniently, and the entire experience was an adventure we were delighted to have tried. Certainly hoping to try something similar in future. Many thanks to Romanian Friend for answering our questions before booking and making sure everything goes smooth. A highly recommended experience!
The trip was wonderful! The mountains were beautiful, the cabin stunning and well-equipped, Iulia our guide was well-informed and great fun, and Romanian Friend was flexible and communicative with our booking and questions. Would highly recommend this experience. Best of all, the money spent goes to support conservation works in this beautiful area!
Other tours nearby
Start from: Rucar, Arges county or Brasov
Start from: Rucar village, Arges county
Start from: Bucharest
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?