The Garlic Workshop: Food, Magic and VampiresWith: Ioana 1
What you need to know about this garlic tasting workshop:
- The workshop takes 3 hours and will be held in a cosy, family-owned bistro in Bucharest witch serves traditional Romanian food
- Included: food tasting and my funny-full-of-details storytelling. No cooking involved, but you can learn tricks from the kitchen
- You will eat a two course meal (both with plenty of garlic) and serve a traditional Romanian digestive drink to start things on the right way
- You will learn about the use of garlic in our cuisine, its historical significance in Romanian culture and myths as well as modern (and unexpected!) uses in everyday life
- BBC published a story "Why Romanians are obsessed with garlic?" - and it's real!
Meeting point can be at your hotel or in a central square like Unirii Square or University Square by the metro station.
From there we will walk about 10 - 15 minutes to the restaurant.
Moments to expect in this garlic tasting workshop
Traditionally, Romanians don't believe in vampires. But they do believe that peoples' souls can come back to cause them harm and these evil spirits are called 'strigoi'. There are many stories from our elders of this happening and garlic was used as protection - I will tell you about this. What about Vlad the Impaler? Was he a 'strigoi' too? What is legend and what is turth - we will cover that also!
Garlic everywhere - but tasty!
You will find out how garlic is used in pretty much every dish in Romanian cuisine. Except for desserts. We will talk about all sorts of meals and dishes that contain garlic, why Romanians love to eat it, how we prepare it and learn garlic-smelling stories from the cook. Don't worry - everything is delicious, not too spicy and mint candy is on us!
- Starting point: Bucharest
- Nearest airport: Henri Coanda Airport (Otopeni)
- Nearest train station: Gara de Nord (North Railway Station Bucharest)
- Landscape: Urban
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?