Food Tasting Trip in Transylvania's Countryside
What you need to know about this food tour in Transylvania countryside:
- A private day trip starting from Sibiu available all year round. Minimum booking required for 2 people. Duration about 8-10 hours
- Included: transport, food tasting (locally sourced from villagers), traditional drinks and my witty and funny English comments about Romania
- You will visit 4 villages, meet local producers and villagers, enjoy 4 delicious food tastings with various seasonal products specific to Transylvanian cuisine and try the Romanian traditional drink - tuica!
- You will visit villagers' homes and workshops, see how they live and work - responsible travel at its best!
- You’ll also receive five old cooking recipes, a handcrafted local souvenir and a tourist map of Sibiu county
Depending on weather conditions, please bring a rain coat and wear appropriate shoes as our tour takes places mainly outdoors.
Depending on season, the exact route can be altered and food tastings will vary according to seasons and availability of products.
Moments to expect in this food tour in Transylvania:
The villages around Sibiu: Cristian and Sibiel
We will start our trip with a visit to the fortified church of Cristian where we will also taste a very local Romanian product hard to explain in words but made out of natural pork fat, aged in paprika with red onions and delicious bread. Very tasty, you'll see. You'll learn how the surrounding areas influenced local cuisine and talk about the Romanian gastronomical mosaic during our walk through the village of Sibiel.
We will then taste some New Transylvanian Cuisine recipes: locally sourced appetisers and a sauce of local herbs in a refurbished barn - where you also get the chance to roll your own pancakes, and then eat them!
More villages around Sibiu: Rășinari and Cisnădioara
In Cisnadioara we will experience a traditional lunch at a local family where you also get to taste various specialities of cheese and the Romanian traditional spirit - tuica or palinca! We will then taste the most well-known desert of Cisnădioara: the Hanklich cake, together with the first Transylvanian wine brought by the Cistercian monks in the 12th century.
Enjoy the Transylvania countryisde
After this tasty introduction in our local cuisine, you can relax in the orchard, enjoy the view and read about 200 years old local recipes. Did I mention that Sibiu has been named the 2019 European Gastronomy Capital?
Cancelation & refund policyEasy
Sends us or the guide an email 24h before the tour informing us you can't make it and you'll get a full refund of your payment, no questions asked.
- Starting point: Sibiu (to be agreed)
- Nearest airport: Sibiu or Cluj International
- Nearest train station: Sibiu
- Landscape: Countryside, hills
Reviews from travellers
Romanian Friend was very responsive with answers to our questions and and helpful with our booking. The Food Tasting tour was great. We stopped at 2 rural homes, 1 for dinner and 1 for cheese and wine. Food was very good and it was obvious the cooks were proud of their work. A great experience!
Other tours nearby
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?