1 or 2-day Hiking Trip in Bucegi MountainsWith: Dan 2
What you need to know about the hiking tour in Bucegi Mts:
- This is a private 1-day hiking tour starting from Bucharest OR Brasov. Can be extended to 2 days
- Included: licensed mountain guide, transport to Busteni (2-way), transfer to 2,000m (2-way). Not included: personal supplies and food
- From Busteni we take the cable car or a private transfer up to the 2,000m plateau from where we start our hike
- [1-day trip] Easy-to-medium difficulty: the hike will take about 5h in total with an elevation gain of 300m. We'll hike on the plateau to visit the sights
- [2-day trip] Medium-to-hard difficulty: we'll hike to Omu Peak (3-4h, uphill elevation 500m) and descend on the second day (6h, downhill elevation 1,000m)
- IMPORTANT: tour can be done only in May - October. please read next page with more info
Due to high altitudes (2,000m+) and unpredictable weather conditions, appropriate hiking clothing and gear is needed. Recommended: good hiking boots with good grip, long mountain pants,, mountain jacket (windproof and waterproof), gaters, backpack with supplies (water, snacks), sunblock.
Terrain in most places is rocky, in some cases steep, with gravel.
For the 2-day hiking trip, a good/very good hiking experience and phyisical condition is required.
Omu Hut offers basic mountain accommodation: clean bunk beds, breakfast and warm food. Advance booking is required for the 2-day trip to secure accommodation at the hut, as it has limited places.
Moments to expect in the Bucegi hiking trip:
[1-day tour] The Sphinx and Babele - a rocky mystery
After arrival in Busteni, we will get a transfer to the 2,000m plateau from where we start our 1h hike to the famous Sphinx and Babele formations. Shaped by wind, these rocks are the subject of many legends and myths in Romanian folk - and for good reason! When you admire them from up close, you'll quickly understand why!
[1-day tour] Heroes' Cross and superb views!
We hike another 1h to a ridge of Bucegi Massif where the 28m-high Caraiman Cross overlooks Prahova valley below from 2,291m. The Cross is a monument to the Romanian soldiers who fought in WW1 and offers breathtaking views of the entire area!
[2-day trip] Summit Omu Peak
If you extend the Bucegi hiking tour to 2-days then we have enough time to hike up to Omu Peak at 2,514m altitude! We'll hike for about 3 hours to gain altitude (medium/difficult) but when we get to the top the effort will be worth it - you've conquered Romania's 2nd highest peak! We stay in the area overnight at Omu Hut with a well-deserved warm dinner! Next day we start our descent on a different and equally challenging route (6h).
- Starting point: Bucharest OR Brasov
- Nearest airport: Bucharest International Henri Coanda Airport
- Nearest train station: Bucharest or Brasov
- Landscape: Mountains, rocky
Reviews from travellers
We had a wonderful day trip in the Bucegi Mountains. He picked us up right on time at our hotel in Bucharest and took us over the beautiful Transbucegi road to the trail. Our guide was a fun hiking companion and adjusted his long legs to our pace! The hike started with an uphill climb then went across a scenic plateau with stunning views. It was a nice break from the city and a great day of scenic adventure.
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?