Picturesque Hiking Trails: Apuseni Natural Park & Rural Village LifeWith: Sergiu 2
What you need to know
- This is a full day tour from Cluj-Napoca to Apuseni Natural Park in the Western Carpathian Mountains. Duration: 8-10 hours
- Included: transport with modern car, sandwich & coffee for breakfast, snacks/water during the hike, delicious lunch & friendly guide
- The hiking will be 4-5 hours long and of moderate difficulty. Route can be changed on the spot with plenty of trails to choose from
- We will drive about 1h 45m on secondary roads passing through traditional villages where you can see local life and meet locals
- Delicious full meal with traditional dishes and products at a mountain guesthouse / chalet nearby
- Plenty of photo opportunities on this tour - bring your camera!
Please wear appropriate hiking shoes/boots and a light rain & warm jacket.
Moments to expect
See village life at its best
On this tour you will see Romanian traditional rural life at its best: in these parts villagers are still the adepts of a simple lifestyle in accordance with nature's laws. The typically village friendship between people and their livestock is a common scene here and you will see how locals live.
Our hike will take us on curvy trails through woodlands and clearings but also on highlands and plateaus, places where the serenity of Apuseni Mountains can be admired. You will get splendid views of the area and nature's beauty - something your camera will surely like!
Discover nature's wonders
Also on our route we will venture through forests to reach a nicely hidden waterfall formed by nature on a vertical cliff. Water comes from many unseen smaller streams from higher up in the mountains and its smooth flow and peaceful sound will delight you!
- Starting point: Cluj-Napoca
- Nearest airport: Cluj-Napoca's Avram Iancu International Airport
- Nearest train station: Cluj-Napoca
- Landscape: Hills, Mountains, Countryside
Reviews from travellers
This was a wonderful day trip, one of our best experiences during our two-week visit. Sergiu was helpful to communicate with us in advance for making plans and letting us know what to expect. He was accommodating and thoughtful, able to craft our day as we went along based on our fitness and energy levels (even accommodating the two different energy levels between my mom and me with a tweak to a hike). We fit two smaller hikes into the day and both were just gorgeous -- one to a fairytale-like mossy waterfall in the middle of the forest, one to a hilltop with an awesome 360-view of the beautiful valleys below and herds of sheep. His backpack was well provisioned with fruits, chocolates, and water to keep us going strong. He also took some photos of us that we really appreciated having. Most importantly, Sergiu was a delight to talk to, just sharing and comparing aspects of our lives in different countries, experiences in nature, and so on. I would also trust Sergiu completely for longer or more physically demanding trips.
Sergiu was fabulous. And to think this picturesque hiking tour in Apuseni was our second choice! We are really happy that we chose this trip (albeit a little hesitant at the beginning). This was really the experience we were looking for. Away from the hustle and bustle of London. Clean air and a truly local experience. We would never have found this area on our own. The guide was wonderful and tailored the trip to suit us and although he's a true mountaineer, that was never intimidating. We had a lot of laughs and Annette absolutely loved the mud! He even thought of everything including a perfect snack pack. We are very happy to recommend Romanian Friend to anyone wanting a local experience in Romania. I also want to thank you for all the information and help you gave before we left for our trip. And for encouraging us to go hiking in the mountains. Cheers!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?