Cluj Top Attractions: Turda Salt Mine, Alba Iulia Citadel & Rimetea VillageWith: Florin 48
What you need to know about this Turda Salt Mine tour:
- A wonderful day trip starting from Cluj-Napoca. Duration: 8-10 hours
- Included: transport (approx. 220 km), guidance, ticket to Turda Salt Mine and water for the road. Not included: lunch
- Turda Salt Mine is a fascinating place that words cannot describe. Enjoy the healthy salty air and relax!
- Find out why the impressive Alba Iulia Citadel is one of Romania's most important historical landmarks
- We visit the village of Rimetea said to be the most beautiful village in these parts belonging to the Hungarian minority
- Unless you specifically mention that you want a private tour, there might be other travelers joining you on this trip
After confirmation of your tour, we agree on starting time & pick up location.
Itinerary adjustable. Drop off in Sibiu is possible for an extra cost.
Read more about both sights in the 'Main Attractions' section About Romania.
Moments to expect during the Alba Iulia Citadel tour from Cluj:
Explore the wonderful and unique Turda Salt Mine
We start our day trip from Cluj-Napoca and head to Salina Turda to learn about this unique attraction. The salt mine is 2.000 years old and was used for various purposes since then. Access tunnels will lead us into huge caverns and grottos beautifully decorated with lights creating a unique atmosphere! You'll learn about salt exploitation and why salty air is therapeutic for your lungs. You can also enjoy the underground amusement park: play ping pong, shoot some pool, minigolf or rent a boat on the underground lake!
Alba Iulia Citadel - Romania's largest citadel
Coming back to the surface, we drive to Alba Iulia Citadel. We go for a walk through this beautifully restored 2000-year-old Vauban fortress and discover traces of different civilisations. Find out why Alba Carolina Fortress is the spiritual capital of modern Romania and visit sights such as the Roman Principia, a neo-byzantine Orthodox cathedral or Union Hall Finally, admire splendid views of Transylvania!
Village of Rimetea
On our way back to Cluj we leave the main road behind and head into the Romanian countryside. We stop in the village of Rimetea, winner of Europa Nostra Award for its authentic preservation of traditional all-white Hungarian households. You will greet locals and see how they live, go for a walk in the village against a gorgeous backdrop of mountains and enjoy a traditional lunch at a local guesthouse with locally-sourced products!
- Starting point: Cluj-Napoca (pick-up)
- Nearest airport: Avram Iancu International Airport Cluj-Napoca
- Nearest train station: Cluj-Napoca
- Landscape: Countryside and urban
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?