Bike to a Beautiful Natural Gorge & Turda Salt MineWith: Szabolcs 4
What you need to know
- This is a private day trip starting from Cluj-Napoca, probably the most healthy one you can find! Duration: 6-8 hours
- Included: transfers by car, bike & helmet rental, lunch pack & coffee break and entrance fee to Turda Salt Mine
- From Cluj we go by car to our starting point for our bike trail to Turda Gorge. In the Gorge we will do a bit of hiking for around 1 hour to explore the area
- After that we go to Turda Salt Mine by bike (easy route) where we will spend about 2-3 hours visiting its galleries
- In total we will bike around 3 hours + 25 km on plains and downhill. Easy for beginners and we can always adapt the route
Come rested, wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
In the Salt Mine no food or drinks are allowed, but we'll charge our batteries before we go in.
Moments to expect
Bike to Turda Gorge
After a short car ride from Cluj, we start an easy downhill bike ride through a little forest and some local villages. In the distance we can already see the opening of the mountains. Inside Turda Gorge we will enjoy its natural beauty and the clean fresh air and go for a walk to explore it!
Bike our way to Turda Underground Salt Mine
After visiting the gorge we will bike our way to the nearby Turda Salt Mine. The salt mine is a massive underground gallery initially used for salt extraction but now used for medical and leisure purposes. Breathing salty air is very good for your lungs, as you will soon find out!
Some more physical activity in the salt mine
Besides visiting the large galleries of the mine, there are plenty of other activities to do. You can read a book, play ping pong or rent a boat start rowing on the lake inside!
Read more about the salt mine in the 'Main attraction' section of Romanian Friend.
- Starting point: Cluj - Napoca
- Nearest airport: Cluj Napoca International
- Nearest train station: Cluj Napoca
- Landscape: Hilly & Underground Staircases
Reviews from travellers
Our tour with Szabolcs was fantastic. Actually there were two guides – Szabolcs and Tomas. Both of them were great to talk to and they organized the trip, so it went flawlessly. While Tomas accompanied and guided us on the bike trail and into the gorge, Szabolcs prepared delicious lunch, provided car transport form one point to the next along the way and gave us the tour of the Salt Mine. Both sites were mind blowing, the views – magnificent, and conversations were heartfelt and interesting. Szabolcs is a great organizer, as well as an entertainer. We never felt rushed or bored in his and Tomas's company. While we were treated like VIPs, we felt at ease every step of the way. Thank you, Szabolcs for the wonderful experience you've given us. When we think of Romania, we'll sure think of this tour and the two Romanian Friends we have made – Szabolcs and Tomas, thanks to all!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?