Private Hike Romania's Most Famous Massif: Fagaras MountainsWith: Marian 32
What you need to know about this hiking tour in Fagaras Mountains
- This is a private hiking tour available only on request. Requires good hiking equipment and physical condition.
- Included: transport, licensed mountain English speaking guide. Lunch and drinks not included but available at Balea Lake.
- We will drive on Transfagarasan Road and then start a 5-6h hour hike from Balea Lake to the main ridge of Fagaras Mountains. If the road is closed for driving (Nov - June) cable car tickets to Balea Lake are not included in the price!
- The hike takes places at over 2,300m and a good physical condition is required. The views are worth every effort!
- IMPORTANT: our guide-partner requires full payment of tour price in advance. Fully refundable if canceled with 3 full days in advance of tour date
Please wear appropriate mountain clothing (warm), hiking boots and a backpack with water and snacks. If the guide considers that you are not adequately equipped he may refuse to go on the tour with you!
Weather can change fast at high altitudes.
Moments to expect in the trekking trip on Fagaras Mountains
Before we get to the starting point of the hike, get ready for the ultimate driving experience on Transfagarasan Highway - the best road in the world! Admire splendid views of Transylvania's plains and the Fagaras Mountain ridges on both sides! The road is fully open for driving between 1 July - 30 Oct. From November to June, the hike will be taken on a different route in Fagaras Mountains, in the Valea Sambetei area.
The ridges of Fagaras Mts.
As the highest mountains in Romania, Fagaras are spectacular! The most exciting thing about hiking here is that most trails go on the ridges and crests of the mountains at 2,400+ m altitude, so you'll see many valleys, peaks and glacial lakes! Don't worry - the trails are safe and don't require special equipment; we choose the route depending on your physical condition and weather. The best part happens when there's fog on one side of the crest and clear skies on the other!
Balea Lake and other glacial lakes
Balea Lake is Romania's highest glacier lake at 2,030m high with clear, ice-cold waters. But in Fagaras Mountains there are many other glacial lakes, all of them with crystal ice-cold waters, soothing to watch!
- Starting point: Brasov
- Nearest airport: Bucharest or Sibiu
- Nearest train station: Brasov
- Landscape: Mountains
Other tours nearby
Start from: Sibiu
Start from: Bucharest
Start from: Brasov (pick-up)
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?