Freeride / Off-piste Riding Beginners' LessonWith: Marius 1
What you need to know
- This is a 3-hour private lesson with a professional winter instructor and mountain guide on off-piste / backcountry riding
- Location: around Brasov, Sinaia or Busteni (for those coming from Bucharest) or Balea (from Sibiu). Exact location depends on weather conditions
- Included: guidance & courses, avalanche safety gear (transceiver+shovel+beacons) . Not included: snow equipment or pick-up from your location outside of Brasov
- On this course you will learn how to freeride safely on off-piste / backcountry slopes wether on ski, snowboard or splitboard
- You will learn about avalanche protection and safety measures, as well as how to interpret weather data and ground conditions
- Course recommended for those with advanced winter sports experience and high fitness level
- I can rent equipment or pick you up from Sibiu or Bucharest at extra cost on booking page.
You can rent your snow equipment of choice either from me or from straight from the ski rental shops in the mountain resort we're going to.
Wearing & using avalanche safety gear is mandatory. If you have your own, please let me know and I will reduce the price for you.
We reserve the right to make changes to the itinerary or if the tour takes place. This might be due to weather conditions for the safety/enjoyment of the tour.
I am a professional and licensed winter sports instructor with expertise in mountain guidance, health & safety measures. At all times, safety will be our top priority.
Unless you mention specifically that you want a private tour, there might be other travelers joining you on this trip. Max group size 6. Costs will be lower for everyone.
Moments to expect
Safety first - avalanche training course
First, we learn about the #1 danger in off-piste riding. I will give you an introduction of the avalanche phenomena, travel techniques, decision making strategies and avalanche rescue (first aid techniques using the receiver, probe and shovel). You'll receive technical and scientific information about understanding of how and why avalanches occur, the factors that indicate and affect snow stability, and the forecasting process.
Learn how to freeride
During freeride, off-piste or backcountry riding most of the time you will encounter heavy snow with ice or the most favourable one, powder snow. We'll learn the setup for different snow types, how to recognise them and, most importantly, the correct position while riding. Then, we go riding!
- Starting point: Brasov, Bucharest or Sibiu
- Nearest airport: Bucharest Otopeni (OTP) / Sibiu International (SBZ)
- Nearest train station: Sinaia, Brasov, Cârțișoara, Sibiu
- Landscape: Mountainous. offpiste
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?