Day Trip to Traditional Mountain Villages: Magura & PesteraWith: Marian 25
What you need to know about the trip to traditional mountain villages:
- A private or small group day trip starting from Brasov in the morning. Duration 9-10 hours
- Included: guidance from a licensed mountain guide, transport by car, visit to the Bat Cave in Piatra Craiului National Park, traditional lunch with eco products. Not included: other drinks and meals
- We'll do a light hiking tour to explore this beautiful area: 5-6h in total, easy-to-medium difficulty, up to 12 km. Route to be agreed on the spot
- The villages of Magura and Pestera at 1,000m altitude will give you an unforgettable and authentic glimpse into Romanian countryside life!
- You will sample a unique type of cheese made only in this area kept and matured in fir tree bark! Finally, a traditional lunch with simple, fresh and organic products!
Dress warmly: sturdy and waterproof hiking shoes and warm clothes or wind/rainproof jacket recommended. Route may be changed due to weather conditions.
Complimentary pick-up can be offered for this tour/activity (as specified on the tour). If you require this service please mention in the booking request
Moments to expect in the mountain villages tour:
Life in the Romanian countryside
We start our tour by driving from Brasov into Piatra Craiului Natural Park, unmistakable with its rugged peaks scratching the sky. We visit the fascinating Bat Cave and then start our walk towards the village of Magura. On our way you will stop many, many times to admire the beautiful scenery and quiet, peaceful life here. Wave to villagers while seeing them at work or leisure, happy and contempt with living off the land!
The most picturesque area in Romania
This valley between Piatra Craiului Mts and Bucegi Mts with village houses dotting the hills is probably the most picturesque area to go hiking in Romania. Absolutely stunning!
Traditional Romanian cheese & lunch
After our hike we stop at a local guesthouse for a well-deserved lunch! First, we do a tasting of Romanian cheeses typical for the region, including the rare branza de burduf: a smoked cheese specialty kept in fir wood and matured - uniquely delicious! Our lunch will be a traditional mountain dish prepared with fresh, tasty and locally-sourced produce from the area.
One last moment of peace & quiet
After lunch we make our way back to the car with a 1h walk crossing mellow hills and the village of Pestera. The simple and quiet life, beautiful natural scenery, friendly locals (& animals!) and delicious food will make your time in the Romanian countryside unforgettable! This tour is a great way to spend your day in Brasov and experience authentic Romanian culture!
- Starting point: Brasov
- Nearest airport: Bucharest International Henri Coanda Airport
- Nearest train station: Brasov
- Landscape: Hills, mountains, wide paths
Reviews from travellers
The tour was great - exactly what we were looking for. The tour guide was unbelievable - great knowledge and a good sense of humor. Highly recommended!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?