2-Day Danube Delta & Birdwatching Tour from Bucharest
What you need to know about this Danube Delta tour from Bucharest:
- This is a 2-day private trip from Bucharest to the Danube Delta with a customisable itinerary. Best period: May - September
- Included: transport (500 km), guide, one 3h boat trip, 1 night accommodation with breakfast. Not included: other meals and expenses
- On the 1st day we leave early morning and drive 4-5 hours to the Danube Delta. In the afternoon we go on a boat trip to see birds and the Delta's beauty
- On day 2 we visit the city of Constanta and enjoy views of the Black Sea. Or you can choose to stay in the Danube Delta and go for a second half-day boat ride [extra price]
- Overnight at a family-owned guesthouse in the traditional village of Murighiol (double room with en-suite and breakfast)
- You will see how locals live in the Delta area and can enjoy regional fish-based specialties that are unique in Romania!
- OPTIONAL: Extend to 3 days and spend 2 full days in the Delta. On day 2 we do a full-day boat ride to visit the famous Letea Village and Letea Forest. On day 3 we visit Constanta and the Black Sea
Please bring sun protection and mosquito repellants.
Recommended to wear appropriate clothing depending on season.
30% deposit required when booking.
Cancelation policy: 7 days advance notice to get a full refund.
Moments to expect in the Danube Delta tour from Bucharest:
The Danube Delta - a natural wonder!
We will start our Danube Delta tour by visiting the Delta Museum in Tulcea. This is the best place to learn about the Delta's history and formation, birds and fish species living here, the Delta's massive importance as a UNESCO biosphere and how locals adapted their life here. The museum features an amazing aquarium where you can see the most important fish living in the Danube!
Life in the Delta
Villages in the Delta are unique in their layout, architecture, cuisine and local customs. We arrive in Murighiol, a village representative for the Delta and settle in our accommodation, a family-owned guesthouse.
Exploring the Delta by boat
We are then guided by a local on his slow-traveling boat to navigate the Delta's canals and admire its natural beauty. We will see numerous wild birds, luxurious vegetation, sparkling lakes and understand why this patch of nature needs to be protected. The Danube Delta is one of our planet’s greatest wetland areas and is worthy of being a UNESCO-protected site. After this 3-hour boat ride you will see why!
City of Constanta and the Black Sea
Next morning after breakfast we will leave for the city of Constanta. Known as Tomis 2,000 years ago, this is one of the oldest documented cities in Romania and was a major trading port on the Black Sea. It has a rich mix of Greek, Roman, Ottoman, Tatar and Armenian culture and we will visit the Old Town area, main squares and, of course, the Black Sea promenade and the Casino Palace, the city's famous landmark. If weather allows we can also spend some time on the beach!
[Customize tour] Spend the 2nd day in the Danube Delta
Instead of visiting Constanta, you can choose to spend the 2nd day in the Danube Delta! You can relax and explore the area on your own or we can go on another half-day boat ride on a different canal route to do more birdwatching! Return to Bucharest late evening.
[extra 50 Euro/person for the boat ride]
[Tour extension] 2 days in the Delta + visit Constanta on day 3
Because it's far away from Bucharest and in the Delta only slow boats are allowed, having more time to visit this place is ideal. So if you extend this trip to 3 days we can spend day 2 doing a full-day boat trip in the Delta.
We'll visit Letea Village, the most authentic and well-preserved in the region, and then go see the unique sub-tropical Letea Forest where trees grow above water - and maybe catch a glimpse of the wild horses roaming in the area.
On day 3 we leave after breakfast to visit Constanta, see the Black Sea promenade and then return to Bucharest in the evening.
[extra 140 Euro/person, includes accommodation and full-day boat ride]
Cancelation & refund policyEasy
Sends us or the guide an email 24h before the tour informing us you can't make it and you'll get a full refund of your payment, no questions asked.
- Starting point: Bucharest
- Nearest airport: Bucharest Otopeni International (Henri Coanda)
- Nearest train station: North Train Station
- Landscape: Wetlands
Other tours nearby
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?