4-Day Danube Delta Group Tour: Birds, Letea Forest & VillagesWith: Iliuta 3
What you need to know about this Danube Delta tour:
- This is a 4-day shared group trip in the Danube Delta starting from Tulcea at 16:00. Group size 8-12 people. Tours depart every 3-4 days in April - Oct - please contact us for exact dates and availability
- Included: specialist local guide from the Delta, 3 nights at a local guesthouse with half board (3 breakfasts and dinners), transfers to-from Tulcea to accommodation, boat day trips on days 2+3, safari transfer to Letea Forest, visiting taxes for the Delta
- We navigate the Delta using our open, custom-made slow boats that offer 360 views - without disturbing birds, fish and Mother Nature. Equipped with comfortable benches, lifejacket for each passenger and knowledgeable guide
- Explore the Danube Delta's beautiful lakes and canals, looking for flocks of bird and wild sceneries! Our traveling speed will be slow to allow sightseeing, bird watching and admire the beautiful nature. Our friendly guides are know-it-all locals who can tell you about the places we'll see, birds and flora we encounter
- Visit Letea village, the most famous and best preserved in the area, and enjoy a typical, home cooked 3-course lunch. Get an off-road transfer to the famous Letea Forest to see wild horses
- Movement of bird flocks is unpredictable and we can't guarantee which ones you'll see - but we know their usual areas and routes, so for sure you will see birds!
Personal equipment recommended:
Trousers and long sleeve blouses; mosquito protection or repellants especially during June - Sept
Watch Cap (not baseball cap) + Sun hat
Jacket or a raincoat
Lunch in Letea - 14 Euro/person payable ONLY in cash (Euro or Lei)
Sunrise trip - 20 Euro/person [optional]
Please take very seriously the equipment requirement. Weather in Danube Delta can change fest, especially on the boat which is open and unprotected. You will feel uncomfortable if you are not well protected and we can't return to the guesthouse very fast.
30% deposit payment required when booking, 70% will be paid in cash (Euro or Lei) on the day of the tour.
For full online payment, please contact us.
You need to cancel with 14 full days before the booking date to get a refund of your deposit.
Moments to expect in this Danube Delta trip:
Day 1: Departure from Tulcea & entering the Danube Delta
We meet in Port Aval - Tulcea at 15:30 and go on a 4-hour boat ride to your guesthouse for the next 4 days. We will travel by boat, through one Sulina Canal, a good introduction to the area, before entering wilder areas deeper in the Delta. After you settle in your room, you'll enjoy a traditional fish-based dinner. After that we go on a quick boat trip to a special place where you can admire the sunset - a magical moment in the Delta!
Day 2: Birdwatching in the Danube Delta
After breakfast we're embark in our boat and travel to the lakes of the Delta! Depending on the season, Danube's water level and info we get on where large groups of birds are feeding, we plan our routes for the 2 boat rides of the day. At noon we travel to Mila 23 village for a lunch break [NOT included], and then go out again. When we get back to our guesthouse around 20:00 (probably after the sunset), another traditional dinner will be waiting for us! Then, you can relax in the gardens of the Delta.
Day 3: Letea village, Letea forest and wild horses!
Optional sunrise trip in the morning [20 Euro/person]. After breakfast, we get on our boats and ride to Letea Village, the most representative and best preserved of fisherman villages in the Delta. A dozen secluded houses where locals live peacefully and un-rushed. You'll explore the village and see how how simple their life is. You can enjoy a home-cooked lunch [15 Euro/person] at a beautiful fisherman's home where our hosts will cook a traditional stew with catch of the day from the Delta!
The incredible Letea Forest and wild horses
After lunch we drive off-road using 4x4 vehicles outside the village to Letea Forest where sub-tropical trees grow "out of sand." We'll be walking on sand dunes for about 30 min and enter the forest to admire its unique vegetation. And if we're lucky we'll also get to see wild horses roaming the lands, peacefully grazing in the area. In contrast with the Delta's wetlands and canals, Letea Forest with its trees and sandy dunes will give you an amazing contrast for the day!
Day 4: one last ride in the Danube Delta
After breakfast, we will take you back to Tulcea on the last boat ride, arriving around 12:00. You can enjoy one last view of the splendid and rich Danube Delta, before we say our goodbyes. Depending on weather and river conditions, we might take a different route back.
Stay at an authentic guesthouse in the Delta
The guesthouse you will be staying at on this tour is special: comfortable and modern, with a generous courtyard and welcoming hosts, you will be treated with delicious meals cooked with fresh fish and local, home-grown products! The food culture in the Delta is unique for cooking fish in slow-cooked stews and various stuffings - delicious like nothing you've tasted before!
Cancelation & refund policyEasy
Sends us or the guide an email 24h before the tour informing us you can't make it and you'll get a full refund of your payment, no questions asked.
- Starting point: Tulcea
- Nearest airport: Bucharest Henri Coanda International Airport
- Nearest train station: Tulcea
- Landscape: Danube Delta Nature
Questions about the Danube Delta trip:
Reviews from travellers
Was absolutely wonderful. Probably we were lucky with the weather. And also with the company. And especially with our guide Viktor, 10 out of 10 for Viktor. As well as being great at pointing out the flora and fauna, also fascinating account of the history of the Delta. So, highly recommended tour, thanks!
Guide was amazing, he had knowledge and was excellent at spotting birds etc. One negative aspect - too much fish in the meals. The local cuisine is delicious but fish heavy and if you're not a big fan or used to it, it may be too much...
The Danube Delta was beautiful and our accommodation was perfect. We saw many birds and our guide was very knowledgeable. Our booking through Romanian friend was an easy process and we loved meeting Romanians.
We worked with Romanian Friend to organize a private tour of the Danube Delta, which we really enjoyed. What we liked about Romanian Friend is their role as a curator of interesting, high-quality Romania-related experiences as well as the brokering with the right tour companies. The tour itself was well organized. We were able to see beautiful wildlife as well as explore the inhabited parts of the Delta, and we were well taken care of throughout. Highly recommend!
Using Romanian Friend to book this Danube Delta tour was easy and the accommodation at Mila 23 and itinerary of this tour was very good! The Delta is a magical place and we saw parts we couldn't have on our own. The guide was a real local and he had very good knowledge of all the birds and wildlife in the area which we saw on all our boat trips. Very good tour, would highly recommend!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?