The Complete Carpathian Mountain Bike Tour: Bears & TrailsWith: Marius 1
What you need to know about this 2-day bike trip around Brasov:
- A 2-day mountain bike trip starting from Brasov for small groups (2-7 people). Minimum booking required for 2 people
- Included - everything: MT bike and helmet, professional guidance and technical assistance, visit of Brasov and Libearty Bear Sanctuary, 2 x lunches, dinner, 1 night accommodation in mountain guesthouse, breakfast, energy snacks
- We will visit: Brasov Old Town, Zarnesti Gorge in Piatra Craiului National Park, Libearty Bear Sanctuary, Magura village
- Delicious meals with traditional dishes and regional products. Overnight in a mountain guesthouse (double room, with en-suite or shared bathroom depending on availability)
- We will reach Postavaru Peak at 1799 m, Postavaru Hut at 1604 m and Curmatura Hut at 1470 m - beautiful landscapes await!
- Bike trails through forests and clearings. Trail surface: double track + single track + forest road
- We will ride 30 km each day, with ascents and descents of 1,500m. Medium physical condition required, but route can be adjusted on the spot and depending on weather conditions
Please wear suitable MTB equipment and a light backpack.
Moments to expect in the 2-day mountain bike trip near Brasov:
Day 0 - Brasov
In the evening before we start our trip we meet in Brasov to get to know each other, choose bikes and decide the itinerary! Then you should get a long night's rest and prepare for what's to come in the next 2 days!
Day 1: Libearty Bear Sanctuary & Piatra Craiului Natural Park
Libearty Bear Sanctuary is the biggest brown bear sanctuary in Europe hosting over 70 bears found suffering in small, rusty cages, used as pets and attractions for circuses and other unethical animal activities. The sanctuary is not a zoo but an area designed to protect the animals - and we learn more about that! Next, we start our biking ascent to Curmătura Hut (1470 m) through the wonderful Zărneşti Gorge. After lunch, we descend through meadows and pine forests to the picturesque village of Magura and admire in the distance Bran (Dracula) Castle!
Day 2: Postavaru Peak & mountain trails
After a well-deserved rest, we start our second day ready for some adventure: Postavaru Mountain will be our backyard with 10 different trails to choose from, for every rider’s taste! We’ll enjoy a traditional lunch-with-a-stunning-view of Bucegi and Piatra Craiului mountains and then ride in the mountains for the rest of the day before we return to Brasov for a cold beer (or drink!).
Overnight at Postavaru Hut
Perched on the ridge of a mountain plateau at 1604 m, Julius Römer Hut is the go-to spot for all people roaming Postavaru for hiking, mountain biking or ski sports. It has great views, comfortable beds and delicious food!
[to ensure availability please book in advance]
- Starting point: Brașov
- Nearest airport: Otopeni (OTP) / Sibiu (SBZ)
- Nearest train station: Brasov
- Landscape: Mountainous, single trails, forest and trail road
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?