Bike Tour & Ethnographic Exploration in Villages around ClujWith: Szabolcs 3
What you need to know
- This is a private bike tour starting from Cluj-Napoca. Duration: 8 hours
- Included: car transfer, bike & helmet rental, picnic lunch, entrance fees. Not included: souvenirs
- We start with a one hour transfer by car to the starting point of our bike route outside of Cluj-Napoca.
- We will bike around the foothills of Apuseni Mountains (total of 60 km, 6-7 hours) on countryside roads, paved or with dirt. Easy-medium physical condition needed
- We will bike through quiet and peaceful nature, see local life and finally stop in the village of Calata. Here we visit people's homes and learn about their traditions and way of life
Appropriate sportswear is required and good spirits!
Moments to expect
Bike, nature & sights
Our bike trail will take us through the foothills of Romania's Western Carpathian Mountains and Apuseni Natural Park. This is a quiet place where nature has been preserved and local villages live a slow life. All nature lovers will love biking here!
Village of Calata
After passing through several Romanian villages we reach our destination - the traditional Hungarian village of Calata. Hungarians are the largest minority in Transylvania and here we can see how they have preserved their culture and way of life, although disconnected from their home country.
Typical painted ''clean'' room in Calata
In the old times every house used to have a special room. It was not used for everyday life but only to store the carefully hand-painted furniture, pride of the locals, and the future bride's heritage called 'zestre', made out of special jewlery, decorations or homeware. It's like a museum in every house and each house has a different story!
- Starting point: Cluj - Napoca
- Nearest airport: Cluj Napoca International
- Nearest train station: Cluj Napoca
- Landscape: Hills and roadside
Reviews from travellers
I went on a ride with Iancu. He was super friendly and had lots of knowledge about the Carpathians and Romania. We did a slightly longer mountain bike ride because I had previous mountain bike experience. I would highly recommend this tour!
Other tours nearby
Start from: Cluj-Napoca
Start from: Cluj-Napoca, Timisoara or Alba-Iulia
Start from: Cluj-Napoca
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?