Hotspots around Timisoara: Bigar Waterfall & Oravita-Anina Steam TrainWith: Mark-Alex 4
What you need to know about this tour to Bigar Waterfall
- A private day trip for small groups starting from Timisoara. Duration: 10 hours
- Included: transport by car (4-5 hours), guidance from a native of the area, tickets (train & Bigar Waterfall), small snack
- The train ride lasts about 2h and travels at 20 km/h - prepare for spectacular slow scenery and bring your camera!
- From Oravita we drive another hour to the entry point for Bigar Waterfall and go for a light walk in the forest
- We can stop for lunch in Oravita after arrival - I know a good place
The train is closed but does not have heating. Please wear comfortable and appropriate clothing.
Moments to expect
To Anina Railway Station
We drive 2,5 hours from Timisoara to arrive at Anina train station. On our way, we will stop in Carasova, an old Croatian ethnic village for a short walk to see village life in Semenic National Park.
A scenic train ride
The oldest railway in Romania is not electrified - so prepare for slow scenery on a steam train ride! Known as Semeringul Banatean, the Oravita-Anina steam train goes through open plains, rolling hills, viaducts and tunnels in Semenic National Park, offering spectacular views of the wild, open area and a great way for you to relax and let your mind wander!
Bigar Waterfall has been ranked #1 most beautiful in the world by the World Geography Atlas and has achieved international fame as one of Romania's top attractions! The small streams running on moss and soft grass that miraculously grows on rock create a unique scene you will never forget!
- Starting point: Timisoara
- Nearest airport: Traian Vuia Airport Timisoara
- Nearest train station: Gara de Nord Timisoara
- Landscape: Hills , Countryside, Mountains
Reviews from travellers
We enjoyed our tour that included Bigar Waterfall and the steam train ride. Our guide, Alex, was excellent and very attentive to our needs. We learned much about Romania and enjoyed the Romanian Countryside. Thank you!
4 times a year we prepare a newsletter with local stories, places and our special insights about Romanian culture and local life that will inspire you to visit our country and have an authentic local experience. Would you like to get it?